Digital multi I/O

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
vascomusic

Digital multi I/O

Post by vascomusic »

Hi John,

The Solaris website's specification page says about Audio inputs & outputs: "Four (4) External analog inputs. Eight (8) analog outputs, configured as four stereo pairs. 1/4'' jacks, balanced. S/PDIF optical In and Out. All inputs (including S/PDIF) can be selected as Audio Sources throughout the synthesizer for further processing or use as modulation sources."

Keeping future multi timbral features in mind, are there any plans to be able to switch the optical SPDIF I/O ports into ADAT mode (like is possible with SCOPE on Sonic Core/Creamware hardware) to have 4 individual digital inputs, and 8 individual digital outputs instead of having only Analog multi I/O ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Digital multi I/O

Post by John Bowen »

You are the first to mention this, and I don’t know if this is possible with the Solaris. I will have to ask Sonic Core.

cheers,
john b.
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

Thanks John for the (very, very) quick reply :-)

I would love to have a Solaris in my studio, but it would be MUCH more useful if i can use Solaris in (future) multi timbral mode, routing several parts/patches through individual ADAT channels to SCOPE PCI boards, XITE-1, or any other ADAT interface.

Thanks,

Miguel
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Miguel,

I’ve just sent off a request about this. I’ll post the reply when I can...

cheers,
john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Miguel,

Here’s the response:
Scope boards have an FPGA to do ADAT, SPDIF, etc...the new Sharcs have SPDIF on chip now, so SPDIF (for the Solaris) was without additional hardware cost.
I think ADAT-output could be implemented in Sharc DSP code too, but would consume some DSP-cycles, and ADAT-in is not possible since you need extra hardware to sync on an ADAT stream.
vascomusic

Post by vascomusic »

Thanks for sharing the response.

True indeed about the sync on the input port.
But about the outputs, i think it's definitely worth sacrificing some DSP cycles to offer multi outs via ADAT (if you are able to switch to ADAT out mode).

John, what are your thoughts about an 'ADAT out' feature on Solaris?

Miguel
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Fine with me! I don’t use it, but if there is enough demand for it by the customers, then it would make sense to add it when MultiMode is implemented.

jb
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

I would much prefer a USB type connection - if that were possible. However, multi-timbral mode is more of a priority as is multi-sampling mode.

Cheers!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The only trouble I see there is that you would be "limited" to 8 channel 48 KHz ADAT out thus loosing part of the 96 KHz feature or getting in SMUX mode to keep 96 KHz but reduce to 4 channels loossing the stereo seperate outs for each part ...

But then, choosing the 48 KHz out way, you'll be able to hook it to an Xite-1 for additionnal processing and mixing with other scope components (I heard MOD IV ?).

The USB way is much too complicated: you cannot have enough bandwidth for that purpose, especially in case of seperate outputs and I do not think USB should be used for anything else than MIDI ...
CheerZ
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

Hi,

My Symbolic Sound KYMA and also my V-SYNTH (XT and GT) use USB.

The KYMA produces pristine outputs (using USB-2) and but it does do higher throughput with FireWire 800. My Korg M3 has a FireWire interface that also works nicely.

With an instrument like SOLARIS, sampling the outputs is not a big deal, but, given the all-digital nature of the synth. I would prefer what KORG did: they sold me an upgrade kit to add the Firewire ... I am not sure it would be easy to do this for SOLARIS but I would think that ADAT out is easy, but not as useful as USB or Firewire.

I would pay for the upgrade or add-on even if it came in the form of some kind of ADAT=USB/Firewire output interface box. Of course, an integrated solution is always preferred - but, in the end, multi-timbral is far more important since 90% of the time I would route the outputs through outboard effects - I still use my Lexicon 480L with my analog performance synths.

Cheers!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy