Solaris and modular system

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
Patate le mgae

Solaris and modular system

Post by Patate le mgae »

Hi everybody,
Sorry for my poor English.
Some day I'll have a Solaris ( perhaps in January ) and i own a quite big modular system.
I've read on the user manual that the external inputs of the Solaris can be use to modulate signal.
Here is my question : Is it possible to integrate the Solaris in a modular system as if it was a module ?
For example : Can we trig an EG with an external square LFO ? And in this case, can we affect it to a VCA who receive a VCO and hear a sound without pressing a key on the keyboard? As it is on a modular system.
I've read the entire manual and i think that is not possible, but perhaps in a future OS version.....
Another example : is it possible to synchronize the sequencer with a square LFO ( as a CV controller and not as a midi controller ? )
Patrick
Last edited by Patate le mgae on Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Solaris and modular system

Post by John Bowen »

Since the audio inputs are AC-coupled, any control signal inputs will be affected. It might work with a square wave LFO running in the EG Follower, but I don’t have a modular system here to test, so I will have to leave it to someone who does.

john
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Thank you John for your fast answer,
but in fact i don't think it will be usefull to go in the EG follower with a square LFO to do what i think about.
My question is : are the 6 EG CV compatible ? Or what can trig the EG ? obviously the keyboard can, the sequencer and the arpeggiator can,
An external midi note on-note off signal can, but is there something else wich can ( for example a square lfo ).
On an Modular ADSR, you have a gate connection or a trig connection to command the module.
I have not find in the user guide the way to trig the EG's, apart of the automatics trigs i give before.
Patrick
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

In fact i would want to know that, because if it's not the case i should buy a module wich transform CV to midi before i receive the Solaris.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

sometimes you can "trick" an AC coupled input by sending a high frequency sine wave ofset so it is only on the positive side, and amplitude modulated with the control signal. that could be done with VCA, the high frequency will "dissapear" because it is higher than the ADC input filter frequency, but would have done its job of getting the control signal past the AC coupling. i doubt this method if going to get you pitch accurate modulation.

it is probably not worth it though,maybe you could damage the inputs with over-voltage.
and for things that change fast enough for MIDI jitter and lag to matter, they will get past the AC coupling anyways, and for slower changing things CV > MIDI.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Thanks Neutron for your explanation.