Proper Sample Format

Discuss John Bowen Synths - Solaris
John Bowen
Site Admin

Proper Sample Format

Post by John Bowen »

The original specification from the coding engineer was that all samples needed to be put into RAW format, which means they have an extension of .raw. However, I noticed that I was still able to use .wav files as well, and therefore I decided to print in the manual (and other places) that both .wav and .raw files could be used.

I guess I should have double-checked this with my engineer.

Today, he sent me a response as to exactly why he used the .raw format:
The .wav format adds other info in data 'chunks' in between the audio data (such as sample rate, bit-lenght info, loop points, title etc.).
Also the audio doesn't need to be 16 bit - it can be 8, 16, 24 or 32 bit.
So even if you find a .wav format file that seems to work there is binary data played with the audio.
Depending on the sample material you may sometimes hear this as a short noise 'burst' or klick.
Even if it seems to work it actually doesn't.
I have come across this kind of a ‘glitch’ in sample playback maybe twice during all this time, so I just assumed .wav files were OK...and they very often do sound like they are playing back fine...but with this new information, I’m going back to saying that the Solaris needs .raw formatted sample data...just to be sure one get optimal results.

Sorry ‘bout that!
John Bowen
francois

Re: Proper Sample Format

Post by francois »

Thanks for the explanation.

What are people using to convert to raw? Up to now I was using a great program on PC called FairStars Audio Converter, which deals with most format, but doesn't have RAW as an output option. So I need to find something that will output to RAW.

Quick check online and it seems a program called Switch will do. It's available for both PC and Mac.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/kb/1405.html
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"