"Legato" behavior

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Christopher

"Legato" behavior

Post by Christopher »

Not sure if this might be a bug or if it's just me not getting it:
I've been trying to build some classic "funky" monophonic lead and bass sounds and I want them to behave like a MiniMoog in that the envelopes don't re-trigger when I'm playing legato.
The Solaris does offer a "Legato" parameter on the "Home" page of the graphic display which offers three choices: "Off", "Reassign" and "Retrig.".
However, no matter what I do, "Reassign" doesn't behave as expected: The envelopes always retrigger. In fact, there doesn't appear to be any difference between the "Reassign" and "Retrig." settings.

I am puzzled. Any Ideas?

(Solaris OS v.1.2)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: "Legato" behavior

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmmm, it used to work...I'll check it in the morning when I get to the SC offices.
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

About an hour ago, all of a sudden it started to work again!
:shock:
I have no idea what happened there. It didn't work yesterday, didn't work this morning, but now it's perfectly fine again.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Long Distance Juju by me :-)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Forum telepathy...
FWIW, I have some great Reassign monophonic stuff, and if you use the Jaws Oscillators w/ slight amounts of PMod via the EG, and also a little Osc Glide, like 2 out of 4 Oscillators using the parameter, it gets Fat quick.
The Jaws Oscillator is a SuperSaw with a spread feature I never found anywhere.
Makes the coolest polyphonic pad sounds too same way I described above, w/o the Osc Glide parameter.

Have Fun.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Sorry, but I have to bring this up again.
John, while your long distance Juju was greatly appreciated :) , it seems to not have resolved the issue permanently. Sometimes, it still happens that seemingly out of nowhere the 'reassign' parameter starts misbehaving. I've been trying to figure out the exact circumstances which lead to the problem, but so far I haven't been able to deliberately reproduce it. Thus all I can say is that it seems to appear randomly.

I have seen the problem show up after all I had done was playing and switching between various patches (from different banks) without doing any editing at all. In case the problem appears, it affects not only a certain patch, but all patches which make use of the Legato parameter set to 'reassign'. All I can do in that case is to re-boot the SOLARIS.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Christopher,
you are not alone, my unit does exactly what you describe.
From time to time, perhaps randomly ( i shall study that ) the reassign parameter is not working : it does what Retrig does.
And effectivly reboot the Solaris is the only way i found to solve the problem.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmmm.....I wonder if I maybe didn't update the Presets in the recent production CF cards.

So, here's a test for both of you -

1) go to any preset, select the Home page with the Legato parameter, and set the value to 'reassign'
2) select a different preset that has Legato set to Off (such as the first preset of mine in Bank 0), and look again at the Legato value

Does it display 'Off'?

Let me know...
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

John Bowen wrote: 1) go to any preset, select the Home page with the Legato parameter, and set the value to 'reassign'
2) select a different preset that has Legato set to Off (such as the first preset of mine in Bank 0), and look again at the Legato value

Does it display 'Off'?
Yes, it does.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, well, in that case, we have a bug. I will report it.
If you can find a way to absolutely repeat it, please post...

And to clarify - you are playing a preset that you saved with the Legato parameter set to 'assignable', and it plays as if it were set to 'retrigger', correct? Is it set to Poly or Monophonic Mode? Likewise, does it matter for EG Reset?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

John Bowen wrote:And to clarify - you are playing a preset that you saved with the Legato parameter set to 'assignable', and it plays as if it were set to 'retrigger', correct?
Correct. Patches saved with the Legato parameter set to 'Reassign' behave as if they were set to 'Retrigger'.
To put it another way: When the problem occurs, all patches (at least the monophonic ones, where this kind of thing matters most) generally retrigger—regardless of how they were saved. I can't get anything to behave like 'Reassign' until I restart the synth.
John Bowen wrote:Is it set to Poly or Monophonic Mode?
So far, I have only noticed it on monophonic patches. It might affect polyphonic patches as well, but I guess in that case it would only be noticeable in the way voices are stolen if the polyphony is maxed out. So it would not be as crucial as in monophonic patches, where this parameter is quite essential.
Next time the problem shows up, I will check to see whether polyphonic patches are affected as well.
John Bowen wrote: … does it matter for EG Reset?
On monophonic patches, I pretty much always have it set to 'Running' which I tend to like better than 'Shutdown'.
Nevertheless, I have tried both and changing the 'EgReset' parameter doesn't seem to help.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

John Bowen wrote: 1) go to any preset, select the Home page with the Legato parameter, and set the value to 'reassign'

Does it display 'Off'?

Let me know...
Yes it does ! But isn't it normal ? Off is the value i expect, no ?
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Christopher wrote:
John Bowen wrote:And to clarify - you are playing a preset that you saved with the Legato parameter set to 'assignable', and it plays as if it were set to 'retrigger', correct?
Correct. Patches saved with the Legato parameter set to 'Reassign' behave as if they were set to 'Retrigger'.
To put it another way: When the problem occurs, all patches (at least the monophonic ones, where this kind of thing matters most) generally retrigger—regardless of how they were saved. I can't get anything to behave like 'Reassign' until I restart the synth.
John Bowen wrote:Is it set to Poly or Monophonic Mode?
So far, I have only noticed it on monophonic patches. It might affect polyphonic patches as well, but I guess in that case it would only be noticeable in the way voices are stolen if the polyphony is maxed out. So it would not be as crucial as in monophonic patches, where this parameter is quite essential.
Next time the problem shows up, I will check to see whether polyphonic patches are affected as well.
John Bowen wrote: … does it matter for EG Reset?
On monophonic patches, I pretty much always have it set to 'Running' which I tend to like better than 'Shutdown'.
Nevertheless, I have tried both and changing the 'EgReset' parameter doesn't seem to help.
Same for me.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, thanks....odd that I cannot see the behavior happen here.
I have reported it to the bug list.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Hi John, do you know if this problem will be fix in next OS ? ( i know it's on the list )
I'm acutally working on Monophonic Timbre ( Moog Like ) and i have to restart my unit every hour to avoid it.
In polyphonic mode it is less embarassing of course.
If you want i can make a video of the problem if it can help.