Solaris receives midi in and goes crazy

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Zahush76

Solaris receives midi in and goes crazy

Post by Zahush76 »

This seems to be perhaps something that only happens to my unit, but i'd like to know if it happened to others as well.
Have any of you tried sequencing and controlling the Solaris from your DAW? How does your Solaris behaves when it receives midi?
Mine goes crazy - or mute. I connected the Solaris to my interface in the most standard way: midi out of the Solaris to the interface midi in, and midi out of the interface into the Solaris midi in - so that i could use the Solaris as a master keyboard, but also sequence it from cubase. I connected another synth (GRP A4) using the midi thru of the Solaris to the midi in of the GRP.
It seems the Solaris controls vst's just fine. But when i try to sequence it from cubase it goes crazy: either constant notes, or notes i play are heard a few seconds later, and sometimes just silence. I thought perhaps i'm doing something wrong in cubase or the interface so i tried sequencing my GRP directly from my interface's midi out into the GRP's midi in, and it works perfectly. I connected the Solaris only in one direction: Solaris midi out into interface midi in, and again it seems to control vst's - and the GRP just fine.
It's when the Solaris takes midi in that it goes bananas - and also when the midi data has to pass thru the Solaris and on to the GRP that the GRP also goes crazy.

Needless to say - i followed all the steps in the manual concerning the midi settings so that it would send and receive midi etc.

So how does sequencing the Solaris from your DAW works for you?

Thanks.
tinhu

Re: Solaris receives midi in and goes crazy

Post by tinhu »

Same problem for me , and cool when i put program change off ... :?
"switched on bach"
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

Yes I'm sorry to say that I think there is still something amiss with the midi implementation.

I run mine into a Cirklon which acts as a sequencer and midi hub. I route the midi input through to whichever track I'm working on with the Cirklon. This is automatic via the cirklon's firmware. All is well in terms of recording midi to the various tracks and controlling the instruments live.

The problem comes when I route the Cirklon to the Solaris. So I've got the Solaris going midi out -> Cirklon midi -> Cirklon sequencer set on channel 10, Cirklon midi out (on a different midi port) to the Solaris. I then get some notes which don't play and other which hang. This is every 8-10 notes or so usually. When working on a track its just off putting but if trying to solo over a recorded piece with 4 or 5 other synths on the go its a disaster. The only way to clear the hanging notes is to stop the recording, run clear all midi channels and re-start. It has basically meant that I simply cannot use the solaris for soloing unless I turn local control on and route the cirklon output to a blank channel.

Its like some sort of weird midi loop although I am certain that I haven't created one. Sort of like some note on and off messages are being lost. The Cirklon does send out quite a lot of information across midi in terms of timing etc, I wonder whether the midi buffer (assuming there is one) is overflowing and notes are therefore being lost. The Solaris timing is certainly tight enough so maybe if there is a buffer it could be expanded!

All supposition of course!

BW

Weston
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

I use Live ableton, i've not yet noticed this problem ( if the hold button is not triggered ).
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

Just had a nice session. I decided to dsconnect everything - and rewire and set up from the begining.
It went well and i was able to sequence the Solaris with cubase, and also control my other synth using the midi thru.
It behaved as it should for about 15 minutes, and then it started again :evil:
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

FWIW I should explain my rig.
88 note 4 zone MIDI Controller, and Solaris use a hardware merge box into the BCF 2000.
MIDI Out A from BCF > into a hardware router > S|C XITE-1 and MIDI In of the SE-1X.

Then I tested the MIDI B Out of the BCF 2000 into Solaris MIDI In. Depending on the Controllers Mode of Operation I can control Solaris from the BCF w/o any problems.
Tomorrow I will try Reaper on the PC and Logic from the MacBook and see how it acts with automation vrs. hands on controlling.

I always wanted to see Solaris in full automation mode. I'd love to be able to play over the automations like I do on occasion with hardware MIDI sequencers. All MIDI PrgmChng messages sent, automated Filter Sweeps and blending of the mixer outs. Should sound pretty sweet.

The few limitations I have seen on Solaris FX being automated is no biggie. I could easily use Scopes FX and use the Ducking Delays I prefer, or Modular Tape Delays. I think the same Reverbs we will end up with I already have. If not the PCM 90 Plate-X, the Scope 5.1 Room is just as sweet, only less editable.
But Solaris sounds great on certain patches using Reverb. Like Tuned Noise (Submarine Ping)
I will check this out Sunday on my downtime and report back.

Have a festive weekend...
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

Have you tried sequencing the Solaris? Or are you playing everything live?
Try sequencing it from your DAW.
Anyway, my situation is that i want the Solaris as my master keyboard, and so there's midi coming out and midi coming in.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I am running Logic Pro, and have everything connected via USB. So far, everything appears to be working normally. I am able to record midi from the Solaris keyboard, and then play the Solaris back through my DAW. I have not connected anything via MIDI yet. What if you were to record a .mid file and send it to everyone to test?
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I did run into stuck notes oddly enough when automating CCs so i think this is a Repear notes on issue, but there is a MIDI Loop, that's for sure, as I have active sensing disabled in the Hardware Routing Filters.
Day off on Monday and I will reset MIDI FIlter so BCF > Solaris will kill the Loop if it dies exist.
If this is the case it'sn easy fix. Buy a hardware Filter as they are much better than Soft Filters which to work well, but still allow stuck notes. Hardware Routing + Filter won;t do this but I am too busy to verify, and will post back at the latest Monday.
But I might just buy another hardwar Router so I can split the signals into 1 from DAW, and 1 from Controller, as I know this should work.
This means that Solaris might add a MIDI FIlter on the out or input as a precaution, but that is mere speculation at the time.

Fun to check things out with you guys. I was lonely here way too long, much better 6-7 guys are all finding out how to get around things or just basic collaboration.
As we are the Magnificient 7.
I'll be Charle Bronson, and marzzz can be Yule Brennar.. :wink:

Ankyu
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

OK guys, i managed to have the bug.
Try this :
On your daw : two notes, but the second one begins before the first one finished, and finished after the first one.
Let your daw loop.
Only midi out of the daw on the midi in of the solaris.
On the solaris :
Init sound
EG 6 : Sustain 127 ( all the rest to 0 )

From time to time, the solaris "forgot" the second note on and if she doesn't the panic begins.

On the other side if you are in USB, no problem with this config.

I've record an example : the first 8 notes are with USB : np, After it's with midi in.....

https://soundcloud.com/patate-le-mage/midi-on-solaris

Note : I'm Elli Wallace
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi All,

I have a request - could everyone working with this problem post if you are using the USB for MIDI, or the MIDI jacks?

thanks,
Steve McQueen
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

For me : No problem with USB, the problem occurs with midi in jack.
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

Ok. So here goes. I've had problems when the Solaris is connected both with midi out and in. It seems it's ok as a controller,but gets messed up when it comes to midi in.
So i tried disconnecting the midi out cable, and only then hitting "play", with midi coming into the Solaris. The Solaris plays with no problems. I've let it run for two hours in a row (the only disappointment is when i set the clock to external and draw chords, set the arp to "on" - it's not synced perfectly. Not tight like the GRP's sync to ext clock).

But as long it's connected with both midi out and in (which is the way it should be) - it goes crazy, and sometimes crashes cubase.
So it's either midi in or midi out. Can't do them both. There seems to be some kind of "loop" going on.
Now, i don't know if it's the Solaris or the DAW. I'll have to get a hold of another synth and see if it acts the same.

Anyway - if it's something that comes from cubase (perhaps midi settings? midi filtering? something else...?) - can someone tell what you do in a case like this?

Thanks
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

In the example i post before, there was only midi in, the midi out was disconnected.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

I thought there was perhaps something going wrong between Ableton live and Solaris.
So i try to command Solaris from Korg Kronos.
KK : Midi out
Solaris : Midi in.
I play " with regularity" on the Kronos and some random notes are missing from Solaris.
Here is what i obtain :
https://soundcloud.com/patate-le-mage/b ... nossolaris

Nota bene : With this sound i have no problem if i play directly on the Solaris Keyb.