All audio output shuts off unexpectedly while playing

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

inaheartbeat

All audio output shuts off unexpectedly while playing

Post by inaheartbeat »

Title - While playing a preset the audio will suddenly shut off completely
Version - 1.2

Description - Select a patch and begin playing rapidly and audio will shut off after some time

expected behavior - Audio should never shut off or be reduced unless there is an explicit control enabled to do so

Steps to reproduce - I can't seem to reproduce this reliably although it is happening with my system tonight pretty consistently.

result - I select a patch that I created and begin to play into my DAW and after a while of doing rapid lead lines the sound just cuts out completely. There is no sound through the headphones or outputs 1 and 2. Changing patches to the factory patches does not change the behavior. I have an expression pedal plugged into my Solaris but it does not change the behavior either way since it is disabled in my patch anyway. I power cycle the Solaris and it comes up sometimes with no audio. I then reboot and it comes up and is functioning normally again. I then reselect the offending patch and play it for a while and the audio cuts out. Note that I have had this patch for several days and tonight is the first time this happened to me. I did do some modifications to the modulation paths but don't understand how that would cause audio to cut out or to have audio remain disabled if I select a different patch.
inaheartbeat

Re: All audio output shuts off unexpectedly while playing

Post by inaheartbeat »

OK I have some more information that narrows down the problem quite a bit. It seems that the audio really doesn't shut off. I can get audio out by assigning Synth to output 1 and 2 instead of FXchan1. I narrowed it down even further by keeping FXchan1 enabled as output and then just toggling on and off different effects. It turns out that the culprit seems to be the delay effect. If there is no delay effect enabled then the sound comes out fine. If I toggle effects bypass when the bug happens I can get audio. I confirmed that the problem is not isolated to FXchan1 because if I use the same settings with a delay on FXchan2 and use that as the source for output 1 and 2 it screws up just like FXchan1. So whatever is going on is not effects channel dependent. It seems to be delay effect dependent. I was using regular delay in the patch and not xdelay. I am not sure if that is significant but it is worth noting.

I just rebooted my Solaris again and now it seems to be working again with the delay in the patch I had created with no problems. It seems like there is some gremlin in the global delay effect that is an issue here. Very frustrating!
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Could you give us your "bad' sound, we could experiment on our units.
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

Here is the preset file copied from the CF card bank 0 preset 64 that I created. I hope this is the right way to share a patch here.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25581790/._p64.pre
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

This is the only real hardware problem I've seen that crops up...and most likely, the RAM associated with the FX Dsp has some intermittent problem, possibly heat related. The solution is to get a new main board, which are in short supply at the moment. If you can continue to use it for the time being, I will contact you about exchanging it as soon as possible.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

inaheartbeat wrote:Here is the preset file copied from the CF card bank 0 preset 64 that I created. I hope this is the right way to share a patch here.

No it's not the right way, you have to zip it in the first time then attached it to your answer i think.
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

Patate le mgae wrote:
inaheartbeat wrote:Here is the preset file copied from the CF card bank 0 preset 64 that I created. I hope this is the right way to share a patch here.

No it's not the right way, you have to zip it in the first time then attached it to your answer i think.
The zip file would just be a compressed version of the patch. Since the file was only 4k in length it didn't seem worth it since it won't save any real space when the file is actually downloaded anyway and it is such a small file that the download time is negligible. Anyway....it seems as though John has had a reply that indicates a hardware issue. Feel free to try out the patch anyway.

Ken
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

John Bowen wrote:This is the only real hardware problem I've seen that crops up...and most likely, the RAM associated with the FX Dsp has some intermittent problem, possibly heat related. The solution is to get a new main board, which are in short supply at the moment. If you can continue to use it for the time being, I will contact you about exchanging it as soon as possible.
Thanks for the quick response John. I can definitely continue to use it for the time being. Worst case for me is just using external delays which I have plenty of. While the problem may be heat related it isn't a heat problem in the environment it is in. It is temperature and humidity controlled. If you sent me a new board we should be able to replace it here. My wife is an electronics technician and I have an EE degree so we should be able to figure it out as long as we have the correct procedure to do it.

I can say I definitely do not want to send it back to Germany. I would miss it way too much!

Ken
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

inaheartbeat wrote:
Patate le mgae wrote:

The zip file would just be a compressed version of the patch. Since the file was only 4k in length it didn't seem worth it since it won't save any real space when the file is actually downloaded anyway and it is such a small file that the download time is negligible. Anyway....it seems as though John has had a reply that indicates a hardware issue. Feel free to try out the patch anyway.

Ken
Good point, but you can't attach the file if it's not in the good format. Zip is one of the good format.
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

Patate le mgae wrote: Good point, but you can't attach the file if it's not in the good format. Zip is one of the good format.
It's a dropbox link. There is nothing attached to the message. You click on the dropbox link and you can download. You can have any file in any format. Dropbox doesn't care.

Ken
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Perhaps because I'm on PC and not Mac, the link gives me a non-pertinent page.
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

I have attached the file explicitly now that I finally know how to do that correctly so no more worries about dropbox. I am not sure why that wasn't working but hopefully this will be fine.

Ken
Attachments
._p64.pre.zip
(351 Bytes) Downloaded 346 times
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Hi,
you are not lucky with your try.
This time when i try to open with Solaris, the name of your preset is : Wrong Version, and it cannot be download.
Perhaps John can give us light.