"Crackling" sounds

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Zahush76

"Crackling" sounds

Post by Zahush76 »

I get these "crackle" sounds on each preset i play. It's like this since day1. What it is - is a "crackle\pop" sound that i get, that sort of resembles the sound of scratches on a vinyl record. No, it's not the same sound as when i move the encoders - which i understand is a different, known issue. I'm talking about a sound i get when i just play chords on the keyboard and don't even touch the encoders.
To check myself, i tried different setting\connections:
1) Running the Solaris with standard 1\4" cables from the main stereo outputs - into the audio interface, to cubase, and back out to the monitors.
2) Same setting - only with TOSlink cables instead of 1\4".
3) Most importantly - listening just with the headphones, directly, without the Solaris going thru any interface or DAW.

On all 3 occasions - it sounds the same. I get this crackling sound.
I finally recorded a couple of demos. I chose pad sounds because it's more obvious than on "short decay" sounds:

https://soundcloud.com/#zahush76/solaris-pad-crackles

https://soundcloud.com/#zahush76/solaris-brass-crackles

I really hope this is something inherent to my specific unit and will be different on the alternate unit i'm supposed to get.
In the meantime, this crackling sound makes the Solaris un-usable for recording - as long as the sounds is there.
Does anyone else get this sound?

Thanks!
marzzz

Re: "Crackling" sounds

Post by marzzz »

Nope.
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

No crackling here...
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

No for me.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Pristine & Perfect here.
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

I had that crackling too ....but, I've witnessed it appear and disappear in certain scenarios with my DAW. I am starting to think the crackling is not the Solaris, but in actual fact something on the receiving end of the digital signal. Get a second opinion, try another digital receiving device, set your DAW to 48kHz and power down your Solaris and power it up after connecting the coaxial cable.
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

Damo Diggler wrote:I had that crackling too ....but, I've witnessed it appear and disappear in certain scenarios with my DAW. I am starting to think the crackling is not the Solaris, but in actual fact something on the receiving end of the digital signal. Get a second opinion, try another digital receiving device, set your DAW to 48kHz and power down your Solaris and power it up after connecting the coaxial cable.
Nope, sorry. As i've wrote before - the "ultimate proof" for me is that i also hear it when connected straight to the headphones, not thru the digital out, or 1\4" out, and even when just in "standalone" mode (i.e. when the solaris isn't going thru any daw).
My specific unit is obviously faulty, and i'm sending it back.