Inappropriate voice stealing.

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Little Gorilla

Inappropriate voice stealing.

Post by Little Gorilla »

Hello there - I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem / bug/ whatever.

Basically what happens is that somewhere in the process of working on a patch I notice that I'm only getting a couple of voices - press down a third key and the first note goes! Well, fair enough possibly but firstly it happens on patches that really shouldn't be causing a problem. Secondly it affects other patches - so if I save the one I'm working on, call up another patch which normally can have far more voices in use then that patch also can only manage two. This includes the init patch.

The only way to get rid of the problem is to reboot the synth. Then everything is back to normal and that includes the patch that I was working on when the problem arose, which will now have a sensible number of voices operating. So - something not quite right I think.

I suspect, although I'm a long way from certain, that Unison is implicated somehow. It's not as straightforward as turning on Unison and turning it off again and having voices still "reserved" when they shouldn't be but I feel that could be a significant factor. I shall keep observing.

So - anyone else noticed anything similar?

Many thanks for your attention.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Inappropriate voice stealing.

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, this is a noted bug. I'm still trying to find why this happens.
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

Thanks John. It's only happened twice but if it keeps happening and anything seems to be closely related I'll let you know.

Cheers.
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

Hello there - I hope this one is still getting some hefty attention and will, hopefully, be cured at the next update. Thank you!
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I had that happen early on, but then the problem stopped occurring. Go figure.
M-Prod

Post by M-Prod »

Well.. just got my solaris last week and have it too. The good thing is (from a bug tracking perspective..) I have a (very simple) patch that shows this behaviour quite consistent. Even after rebooting. I'll upload it after i get my card reader (next wednesday).
Here is a movie showing the behaviour. No great chord here ;-) Just three close notes to make sure i hit them nearly at the same so the effect is clear. Twice in this movie i let go of the note that was stolen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXDInIDvx4
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

It happened to me again recently while playing a preset, but I couldn't reproduce it. Hadn't happened in quite awhile.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

I was about to post a possible bug, but searching through the previous reports I found this one which sounds the same as I encountered. It's reproducible.

1. Turn on the Solaris.
2. Switch to preset 3.23 called "KA JUMP" (Assuming you still have the original presets in there)
3. Play a few chords, say three-note chords. When I do this many of the played notes don't sound. This preset uses UniVoice set to 2 so you should get polyphony of five.
4. Switch to some other preset that doesn't use Unison, such as any of the next few. For example, preset 3.26 "KA OBIE PAD (joystk)". It now only plays one note.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

minorguy wrote:I was about to post a possible bug, but searching through the previous reports I found this one which sounds the same as I encountered. It's reproducible.

1. Turn on the Solaris.
2. Switch to preset 3.23 called "KA JUMP" (Assuming you still have the original presets in there)
3. Play a few chords, say three-note chords. When I do this many of the played notes don't sound. This preset uses UniVoice set to 2 so you should get polyphony of five.
4. Switch to some other preset that doesn't use Unison, such as any of the next few. For example, preset 3.26 "KA OBIE PAD (joystk)". It now only plays one note.
I just quickly tried doing this, using v1.2 OS, and did not encounter any problems with notes not sounding, or only playing one note. Do you think your unit needs to be powered on for some time before this happens?

John B.
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

I was using the ver 1.2.11 you sent out to those with detented encoders. It only happens in that version. I just tried earlier versions and it doesn't happen in those. So I guess it's not the same bug as this thread.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

minorguy wrote:I was using the ver 1.2.11 you sent out to those with detented encoders. It only happens in that version. I just tried earlier versions and it doesn't happen in those. So I guess it's not the same bug as this thread.
Yes, I encountered the same ‘bad behavior’ with v1.2.11 OS. Thanks for reporting!
I’m not sure what is causing this, but it may very well be some bad data in the factory patch, and not any particular parameter. I’ve tried editing the ‘usual suspects’ in voicing control, mainly the Legato and EG Reset parameters, but can’t find the correlation yet.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Attention Solaris Users: I have determined that the preset in Factory Bank 3 - 23 KA JUMP is corrupted, and therefore if you are experiencing this issue listed here (voice problems), please just reboot and ignore this preset for now.
I will have to work on a replacement for it.