Bank encoder interferes with MIDI clock

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

koenig

Bank encoder interferes with MIDI clock

Post by koenig »

I have just played with an Origin connected to the Solaris where the origin has a sequence that is gated, i.e., it starts running when I press a key. I set the Solaris to send MIDI clock so I can run both sequencers in parallell - great fun!

MIDICtrl - On
ClkSrc - Send

But, when I keep a key down, triggering the sequence, and then turn the Bank encoder on the main screen, the MIDI clock gets confused and the sequence on the external synth steps severely out of time. Stop turing the encoder and the Origin steps back in to time.

The same behavior applies to all encoders on the main screen, but the Bank and Program seems to have the most severe impact on timing, with very distinct pauses in the Origin's sequence as effect. Also moving the joystick manages to interfere with the transmitted MIDI clock, albeit not as much as the Bank encoder.

I tried to search this forum for similar issues but no hits - I am sorry if this is well known and I am singing to a choir.

Cheers,

K
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Bank encoder interferes with MIDI clock

Post by John Bowen »

Hi and thanks for reporting!

Not a bug that's been reported, but I can guess what's happening. Basically, the MIDI Clock routine being sent out is interrupted when the front panel knobs are moved, which triggers the scan routine. You are seeing even more of an interruption when using the Bank or Program encoders, because the routine has to go out to the CF card and read the data from it. The data flow is definitely lagged when reading the preset names from the card (you'll also notice this lag when you fetch the names of the presets on the Performance Mode pg. 3 where you can see 10 Program names at a time). Something we need to improve/modify. I do have some ideas to improve this....
koenig

Re: Bank encoder interferes with MIDI clock

Post by koenig »

The other day I stumbled over a (probably) related problem: when running the Solaris with an external sequencer (in my case a Schrittmacher) I can fiddle with the controls on the front panel, as long as I stay off the ones round the main screen. If I do anything that has anything with the patches to do, the Solaris misses MIDI data on the incoming MIDI stream.

The easiest way to try this is to run a sequencer on MIDI in, make sure to be in "Preset" mode and then pressing either arrow key, left of the main window.