Solaris Bug List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Scott_V

Solaris Bug List

Post by Scott_V »

I believe it would be helpful to the Solaris user community if there was a consolidate list of identified software bugs in the Solaris Bug Reports Forum section. This would prevent redundant submittals, would help users reconcile actual software problems vs operator error, and of course also provide some piece of mind that the issue is acknowledged by the development team as a bug (and subsequently is being tracked as the issues are resolved in future software updates).

An example "bug list" table maintained by the Forum administrator might contain such useful information as:
1) tracking number
2) brief title
3) description of bug/problem
4) temp work around (if applicable)
5) disposition plan (e.g. what level of priority is this bug being worked)
6) final disposition (e.g. bug corrected by software update version x.y)

I apologize if this, in some form, is already available on the users forum, but I have not seeing it. I'm sure there already exists a bug list internally, so I hope that you would agree this user forum idea would benefit both the user community and the Solaris development team.

Thank you for your consideration,
Scott V.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Solaris Bug List

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Scott,

I do need to make a better organization of these. I apologize for the lack of information here...

john b.
Scott_V

Post by Scott_V »

John,
Any progress on the known bug list - it really would be very helpful to some of the users. And on a related note, we've been very patient waiting for a software update to fix some of the known problems (~2 years since last update), It's my understanding that some beta testing has been underway addressing some bugs, so an ETA for release would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Scott
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Scott,

The situation was that, after Julian finished the v1.2 update (Dec. 2012), he continued on with Sonic Core for another 6 months, working on Scope, until he decided to start his own business in July 2013. He had promised me that, once he was on his own, he could dedicate more time to fixing Solaris bugs...so I just waited....and waited...and waited. Finally, in December 2013, he realized he was overwhelmed with starting his business (and a new baby), so he agreed that I should seek out someone else to do the work.

It wasn’t until the Frankfurt Messe in April 2014 that Holger from Sonic Core decided that he would start looking into the Solaris code (something he had not done previously). He spent some of the summer of 2014 looking into it, but didn’t really do anything until I came over in December 2014, when we made a new agreement.

Since then, Holger has produced a number of beta versions (current beta is 1.2.7), primarily looking into an issue with the sustain pedal and the messages back and forth to the front panel LEDs and displays. His most recent decision came last Wednesday (July 1, 2015), which is to rewrite the messaging part of the OS, as it seems Julian’s code was not at all optimized. He assures me that, with the rewrite, the system will be much more stable and robust. Current time estimate for this is 1 month, so I am waiting, just as all of you owners are.
Scott_V

Post by Scott_V »

Hello John,

Thanks for the update on Holger's progress. I'm encouraged by the assurances that he has that the code will be more stable and robust. Never an easy job taking over someone else code, but with strong programming skills & experience a set of fresh eyes can also improve upon the original code. We all look forward to the update when it's ready for prime-time. And now that he's on board and catching up to speed I sure hope you can keep him supporting the Solaris community for some time well into the future...

Thanks,
Scott
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Scott_V wrote:And now that he's on board and catching up to speed I sure hope you can keep him supporting the Solaris community for some time well into the future...

Thanks,
Scott
Yes, I can say with the new agreement we signed in December that Holger is definitely committed to supporting the Solaris long-term.

JB
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I have just received the revised OS mentioned in my July posting. It does improve the communications internally, and seems to have fixed the sustain pedal interaction problem with detented encoder units. It also seems to have eliminated the “stuck on the Waldorf screen” problem when booting up. There needs to be more testing for the next week or two before release, but this version doesn’t really address any of the major bugs we’ve seen here; that will have to come in the next few months. I take it the timing with External clock sync is of great importance, and of course, there are several others. I hope to have something by Christmas time to resolve these.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Good news, thanks John and Holger
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi everyone - so, we have a new guy who is going to start on the bug list, as Holger has not been able to dedicate the time. Once we get a debug system set up, we will be able to make good progress, and I hope to have some good news within the next 3 months....so, hang in there!
jgale

Post by jgale »

John Bowen wrote:Hi everyone - so, we have a new guy who is going to start on the bug list, as Holger has not been able to dedicate the time. Once we get a debug system set up, we will be able to make good progress, and I hope to have some good news within the next 3 months....so, hang in there!
Excellent news!

John
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Good courage, we are with you ! :)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hello again, everyone.

This week we finally have a working debug system where the new coder can start implementing fixes! It’s taken a lot longer than expected, but I think now we should have a smooth path to real progress.
amongstmyselves

Post by amongstmyselves »

That's wonderful news John. Thanks for the update.

Steve
jgale

Post by jgale »

Excellent news! Thanks for the update John.

John
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Wow, didn't even know anything was wrong.

But glad something's getting fixed I guess... :wink:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole