Channel aftertouch messages emited spuriously from MIDI out

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

minorguy

Channel aftertouch messages emited spuriously from MIDI out

Post by minorguy »

Sorry if this was already mentioned but I didn't see it.

O/S version 1.2.6. I'm using the DIN MIDI out port connected to my computer. When I go to the MIDI page and turn MIDICtrl On, the Solaris starts to send out channel aftertouch messages without me touching anything. They all have data value of 0. The timing is kind of random/sporatic and the average is a little under one per second. I've tried calibrating the keyboard aftertouch a couple of times but it's the same.

One way you can see this is by using some MIDI monitor software. I'm on a Windows computer and I'm using the MIDI-OX program. Also, I'm going though a MIDISport adapter with LEDs so I can see the activity that way as well.

On a side note, I noticed that while with most presets the aftertouch messages give a continuous range of values, when I select preset 0.1 (P5 PolyFM) and press down, the only aftertouch values sent are either 0 or 63 (0x3F). I haven't dug into it yet so that may be normal behavior for some reason. I just thought it odd.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Channel aftertouch messages emited spuriously from MIDI out

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmm, yes, I see there’s a stream of data, too. I show Controller 1, not Aftertouch, but still...

I suggest going back to v1.2 for now. (I also tested v1.2.1 beta, and it doesn’t have the continuous data flow.)

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, I’ve established this happens sporadically only with the units that are using the detented encoders. I expect the update Holger is working for these encoders will address this as well.

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

minorguy wrote:On a side note, I noticed that while with most presets the aftertouch messages give a continuous range of values, when I select preset 0.1 (P5 PolyFM) and press down, the only aftertouch values sent are either 0 or 63 (0x3F). I haven't dug into it yet so that may be normal behavior for some reason. I just thought it odd.
The reason for this is the preset P5 PolyFM (which, by the way, is supposed to stand for Polyphonic Filter Mod, not Frequency Mod, I realized too late!), is that the AT intensity is programmed to be 0%. If you check this (on page 3 of the Home pages), you can adjust it to see the values increase in your MIDI OX program.

JB.