Problem with Mono Legato mode -> ENV triggers

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Northern_Lights

Problem with Mono Legato mode -> ENV triggers

Post by Northern_Lights »

I discovered this problem when programming a typical synth solo patch (mono mode). A typical idea for legato play is to let the filter close slowely as you play a sequence of notes, i.e.you want the voice to reasign to the newest played note, and you do not want envelopes to retrigger, as long as you play legato. (A fairly standard setup on many older analog synths as many of you will know).

In other words, on the Solaris, I dialed in this:

Play Mode: Mono
NotePri: Last
Legato: Reassign
EGReset: Running

So far so good, everything worked as expected. However, when revisiting the newly created patch, to my surprise I realized that the patch now DID reset envelopes at every new note, i.e it was in EGReset:Shutdwn mode and/or Legato off!!

And thus impossible to play in the «climb along the envelope» style, you get the full attack transient at every new note. My first tought was I had made som unintentional change to the settings prior to save, but alas – all play mode/legato-settings was exactly as described above. Even more, when i changed the settings, there is absolutely no response to changes to Legato mode or EGReset mode. Mysterious!

Over the following days I discovered that it would sometimes pick up the correct legato/EGReset modes, but most often not. It seemed like if I visited this particular patch directly after power up, everything is OK. But - if I now change to some other Patch, with the following (typical) key-assign settings (the patch sounding fine by the way):

Play Mode: Poly
NotePri: Last
Legato: Retrig
EGReset: ShutDwn

and thereafter changing back to my mono-patch above, it would keep these latest settings instead, not the ones I originally programmed! I.e. the legato mode was again gone...! So – it seems like there is a problem in the way the synth loads these particular settings. Apparently it just get locked into 'No legato/EGShutdwn' after visiting patches with this particular setting. And regardless what is else said in the display.

Some days an sessions later, I went into the diagnostic-menus to explore, and did a self test on the DSP's. And now - viola, the patch suddenly played correctly. And I tought had solved it!

However, what now happened was that when I visited a typical poly patch, suddenly all envelopes was «running» and in legato:reassign mode here as well!! Very much like the POLY2 mode of older Roland/Korg synths, which can be indeed be useful on strings and slow patches, but not so on an Electric Piano! No I was very puzzled, but anyway, back to diagnostic mode, run a DSP test and the Poly patches was fine again. This time, even the actual monopatch was OK when loading up that one, but the situation is not stable, the majority of the time it does not pick up changes in the described settings when changing a patch, and just get stuck into a particular mode as it seems. A restart of the synth, or a DSP-test seems to rectyfy the problem, but only temporarly.

There is clearly a problem her, but it would be very interesting to hear what other users have expereinced with regards to mono/legato patches and ENV Resets, also how the settings are maintained when swithing between different patches. (NOTE: The settings may appear right in the display, you have to play the patch to check what is going on in reality).

My device is serial #285, bootloader rev. 1.1. (this may not reflect the OS version, is there an easy way I can tell if so?)

best reg, Northern_Lighs - Norway
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Problem with Mono Legato mode -> ENV triggers

Post by John Bowen »

The current OS installed is displayed on the 4th page of the Home button, in the lower left area.

I think this may be the same problem as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=16131

Thanks for reporting!

John B.
Northern_Lights

Post by Northern_Lights »

OS 1.2.1

Yes, it's the same problem as posted previously (I should have checked older posts better!)

As said, it seems to rectify after a calibration of the CPU's, but ony temporarily. Also, at least at one occasion I observed the "opposite" effect, i.e polyphonic patches 'forced' into legato/EG running mode. (That was actually just after a CPU-reset).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

This bug has been found, and the fix is to download a clean version of the global init file. Please check the Data Files - Other section: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16478