Crazy Ribbon : pitch going up 3-4 octaves after a few seconds

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

reno

Crazy Ribbon : pitch going up 3-4 octaves after a few seconds

Post by reno »

After a few busy months, I came back to my Solaris tonight and I'm faced with worrying behavior:

After about 10 seconds, pitch suddenly jumps up 3-4 octaves (a C2 quite consistently becomes an A5), and I need to touch the ribbon controller (anywhere) to put it back into place.

Then a dozen seconds later, whether I have played the keyboard or left it completely alone, things go awry again without fail, until I touch the ribbon.

This is with pretty much every patch I tried, and the pitch even stays up after changing presets, only touching the ribbon resets it.

It sounds awfully like a hardware issue to me, am I right to be worried ?

Thanks
jgale

Re: Crazy Ribbon : pitch going up 3-4 octaves after a few seconds

Post by jgale »

I would disconnect any midi to ensure nothing is affecting the Solaris from the outside. I would then run the self test and calibration routines to see if that helps. The steps are in the manual.

Other than that - it may be an issue for John to handle...

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmm, it could be a contact problem inside the ribbon, but I think first be careful on doing the calibration routine.

If you press the keypad 1-8-3 simultaneously, you get the self-test menu. You will see the list of choices, and you want to pick #3 Ribbon.
It will say to touch the rightmost position on the ribbon. What many do is incorrectly think they should touch the absolute end, but you want to be holding down the ribbon where the values you see in the display are around 10,000 - not the 16,256 at the end, which is not the real end point.

After holding and pressing Enter, it asks for the low point. Here you want to get a value of zero or as close to zero as possible, pressing enter again. You can then exit it all with the Exit button to get back to normal play mode.

Let us know if you are still having problems after this calibration.

John
reno

Post by reno »

John Bowen wrote:Hmmm, it could be a contact problem inside the ribbon, but I think first be careful on doing the calibration routine.

If you press the keypad 1-8-3 simultaneously, you get the self-test menu. You will see the list of choices, and you want to pick #3 Ribbon.
It will say to touch the rightmost position on the ribbon. What many do is incorrectly think they should touch the absolute end, but you want to be holding down the ribbon where the values you see in the display are around 10,000 - not the 16,256 at the end, which is not the real end point.

After holding and pressing Enter, it asks for the low point. Here you want to get a value of zero or as close to zero as possible, pressing enter again. You can then exit it all with the Exit button to get back to normal play mode.

Let us know if you are still having problems after this calibration.

John
Thanks for your help,

Some combination of recalibrating + updating to the 1.3 OS seems to have solved it for now !