Patch Master Volume Issues

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

jgale

Patch Master Volume Issues

Post by jgale »

Hi All,

I am having an issue with Master Volume between patches.

When I switch between patches, output volume of the Solaris remains constant. On certain patches, when I touch the Master Volume, the volume falls dramatically, and I can not get it back to the previous volume. To regain the volume on that patch - I switch to another louder patch and then switch back. On other patches, Master Volume output works as it should.

It seems to happen on patches created with an older OS release - but I am not sure.

Any thoughts?

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Patch Master Volume Issues

Post by John Bowen »

The Master Volume is not stored anywhere, so I wouldn’t expect it to have anything to do with patch creation on an older OS. Make sure your Master Volume is calibrated correctly by checking the ‘Self Test’ menu - hold 1-8-3 at the same time to get this menu, and select #4 Analog Controls, then #4 again for Main Volume. Following the instructions in the display, turn the knob to full minimum, then full maximum. Press Exit twice to return to normal synth operations.
jgale

Post by jgale »

John - I just tried to calibrate the volume knob and it did not help. This was also happening when receiving CC#7 remotely.

For a test, I went back to OS 1.3 and it worked fine there.

I re-flashed 1.4.2 - and now it works fine again. I'm not sure what was happening...

John
jgale

Post by jgale »

Quick Update - I think I solved it!

I had a flaky expression pedal plugged into the Solaris. When the floor was jostled (footsteps / heavy playing), the pedal would jump and send a low value to the Solaris. When I played a patch that has the expression pedal set to Expr - the Master Volume knob only sets the volume to the maximum amount of the pedal setting. So patches that were controlled by this could never obtain the full volume.

I replaced the pedal. All good for now...

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Ahhhh, good to know!
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

This sort of thing drove me nuts more than once also. I couldn't figure out why the volume was so low. I eventually realized it was the expression pedal at a low position.
Solaris #249