Closed:Channel AT via MIDI causes erroneous behaviour

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

CA3080

Closed:Channel AT via MIDI causes erroneous behaviour

Post by CA3080 »

1. Channel Aftertouch messages via MIDI affects Solaris regardless of MIDI channel. (Solaris is of course set to OMNI off.) Polyphonic AT seems to be properly channelised.

2. When Solaris receives Channel AT messages via MIDI, different kinds of unwanted things happen, e.g. Pan is set to Left and Delay is activated. Changing to another patch doesn't restore normal function. Instead a reboot is required.

Aftertouch on Solaris's own keyboard is working normally.
CA3080

Re: Channel AT via MIDI causes erroneous behaviour

Post by CA3080 »

Update: Even with MIDICtrl Off and Volume Off the strange response to MIDI Channel AT described in the previous post is present.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Closed:Channel AT via MIDI causes erroneous behaviour

Post by John Bowen »

Verified fixed and Tested on 12/23/2012
Build v1.2 12_23_2012
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Not sure if there is a method for me to check on my AT anomaly... I can't seem to get my Solaris to listen to Aftertouch messages. My sequencer has recorded them down from the Solaris as "pressure" messages, but my Solaris is ignoring them on play back. When I play or record, I press down with some extra weight and it affects the patch (the way it should)... but on playback, the notes are unaffected by any aftertouch (pressure) messages.

I thought I should try looking in the Solaris' Self Test Menu but the "I/O" option is not available... it just says "---"
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The self test menu won't show you anything for MIDI Aftertouch messages coming in - it only tests the local aftertouch coming from the keyboard itself.
This is something I have not tested - has anyone else found this to be a problem?

john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

And just to make sure - you do have v1.2 installed? Go to the Home page group, and check the last page where the internal serial number is shown. The installed OS version will be shown in the lower left.
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

I can't get the Solaris to listen to the Joystick or Ribbon messages either... it definitely generates the MIDI messages for a sequencer to record, but getting it to listen to them on playback is not happening. I have tried various techniques to find a work around, but to no avail. One thing I did find which is interesting is, if you turn MIDICtrl off (after recording some notes) the keyboard is still active to pressure but not notes..

-D
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

MIDI Control just controls whether the Solaris sends out and receives any MIDI data at all.

I would be surprised if you truly are getting MIDI messages from the ribbon, since it does not send out any MIDI data.
Do you have the Receive NRPN active? The joystick shouldn't do anything unless NRPNs are being transmitted and received....
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Ok. Well I've always had Tx-NRPN and Rx-NRPN disabled, and the Joystick does generate messages even with Tx-NRPN disabled or enabled. The Ribbon does not generate anything with or without Tx-NRPN enabled.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, the Ribbon does not output MIDI data.
What CC number are you seeing for the Joystick?
Damo Diggler

Post by Damo Diggler »

Sorry about the delay in replying...

I'm getting CC's 17 & 16... appears to be CC#17 from vertical moves and 16 from horizontal moves.

-D
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Ah, that would be the correct CC values to control a Prophet VS joystick. I forgot that we had implemented those to use the Solaris as a controller. I think Julian did not code it to do anything when receiving these standard CC messages, though.