Poly Pressure

Discuss the Scope version of the Solaris
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Well that makes the infamous front leaning double forearm aftertouch trick no good... :D
Sounds like Pro wrestling or something. I always wondered how the announcers knew the wrestlers every move...." He's up on the turnbuckle....yes it looks like he's gonna do the Front Rolling Dick Ear Jabb "........or some bull shit acrobatic flop..... :P

The curves are important I would think.
I have an ancient Oberheim MC3000 still which has 48 programmable velocity curves, and another 48 programmable aftertouch curves ( mono ).
The thing weighes a ton, it should of had PAT.
I am so interested in this stuff not just for synths, but Kontakt 3.5 ( 64bit ) has external modulator choices and yes.....PAT and mono are provided.........
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
eric

Post by eric »

John Bowen wrote:Eric,
Once you get your DSP card, let me know. I will make up a Demo version of the Solaris plug-in that adds PolyAT to the Mod Source lists, and you could then try it out before you purchase.
-john b.
Hi John,

14 DSP card arrived today! (Thurs)
MK88 working OK.

Ready to try the PAT.

Eric.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Me Too Pretty Please....................
BTW, If you bust Holgers balls for me, I really would love new keys for QWave and Solaris..................It's killing me not to be able to load those in XITE-1.

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

scope4live wrote:Me Too Pretty Please....................
BTW, If you bust Holgers balls for me, I really would love new keys for QWave and Solaris..................It's killing me not to be able to load those in XITE-1.
Hmmmm, should be no problem. I'll see.....
JB
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

It must have worked.
It's better to have 2 Ball busters, instead of one.......

BTW, Hey Left Nut.............Yeah, what do you want right nut ???
Hey who's the dick in the middle....................ankyu.

Ralf emailed for the new V5.0 rgy. and the old skf's.............ankyuvarymush.

Stock synths are cool, but I stopped breast feeding when I bought Solaris. QWave and Prowave way back when... 8)

fab

Post by fab »

John Bowen wrote:
marzzz wrote:Note on Roland A-80: It has PolyAT, but it is very difficult to use! You need hands of steel to get it to work, even after the Roland-approved mod to increase the PolyAT response.
I assume this is also true of the A-50?
-jb
not quite! i have two a50s (which don't show up often, but when, they tend to be reasonably priced.) i never tried an a80 but it is said that on a50, the response is lighter.

on both a50 i have, polyAT works and can be used. i got one of them modded at xtended for lighter response (mod can be find via google). so this one works easier, but a little less linear. good parameter moothing is very important! an it does take practice (maybe not as much as playing tones in pitch on an obe...) - which i don't do enough of yet.

so, synths receiving poly AT are great. e.g. zebra does and so does symptohm and the forthcoming LARGO will as well.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

fab wrote:
John Bowen wrote:
marzzz wrote:Note on Roland A-80: It has PolyAT, but it is very difficult to use! You need hands of steel to get it to work, even after the Roland-approved mod to increase the PolyAT response.
I assume this is also true of the A-50?
-jb
not quite! i have two a50s (which don't show up often, but when, they tend to be reasonably priced.) i never tried an a80 but it is said that on a50, the response is lighter.

on both a50 i have, polyAT works and can be used. i got one of them modded at xtended for lighter response (mod can be find via google). so this one works easier, but a little less linear. good parameter moothing is very important!
I have never played the A-50, but Roland's mods were for both the A-80 and A-50. Personally, I prefer a "piano weighted" keybed for polyAT, as found in the MIDIBoard, CS-80, and Prophet T8. A really excellent synth-type keybed for polyAT is the GeneralMusic S2/S3, but good luck finding any of those. They are built like tanks and have 7 assignable sliders, so they make excellent controllers, but the one downside is that you have to save your "set up" to a 3.5" floppy disk so that you don't have to dive into menus to activate polyAT each time you power on; I would hate to rely on a floppy drive in this day and age.

Another completely excellent polyAT keybed is the one in the Rhodes MK 7 AM, but you basically have to buy a Rhodes to get it! At NAMM this year I checked it out and was extremely impressed- I begged them to consider releasing a non-Rhodes controller, it was that good...!

Not sure what is happening with the VAX77, their website stated that they would have demo models available in March, take orders in April, and begin shipping in May, but unfortunately none of this has happened. I am in the camp of people who did not like the keyboard action....
eric

PAT test on Pro-Wave Plugin

Post by eric »

Pro-Wave PAT testing.

OK I've done a preliminary test and it's good!

The plugin recognizes PAT and modulates as assigned.

If you press a key on the keyboard and then press harder the PAT changes the modulation target accordingly. However it only works on every second different not played. If you keep playing the same note it works every time. I'm sure John can explain this.

I'm not at all familiar with the Pro-Wave synth, so I wasn't able to try any complex stuff, besides I think the PAT implementation was experimental on just one modulation source. The idea would be to assign it to any control with a right click as it's now done for standard controllers. I'm not sure how you would assign it to a particular voice in a polyphonic setup. I assume the key which triggers the voice has its pressure value routed to that voice and it's associated processing, only.
It would be cool to be able to change a filter or phaser parameter, for example, on only one note of a chord.

Eric.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: PAT test on Pro-Wave Plugin

Post by John Bowen »

eric wrote:....The idea would be to assign it to any control with a right click as it's now done for standard controllers. I'm not sure how you would assign it to a particular voice in a polyphonic setup. I assume the key which triggers the voice has its pressure value routed to that voice and it's associated processing, only....
Eric.
This is not possible. Please see my relevant post on Planet Z:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27356

Scroll down to view my post of May 21, 2009 17:12.
John b.
eclectasy

Post by eclectasy »

Is there a beta version with some PAT-implementation now?

How is the polyphonic aftertouch different than normal aftertouch in this case, when individual notes as I understand it can't be modulated..?

/Knut

John Bowen wrote:
eric wrote:....The idea would be to assign it to any control with a right click as it's now done for standard controllers. I'm not sure how you would assign it to a particular voice in a polyphonic setup. I assume the key which triggers the voice has its pressure value routed to that voice and it's associated processing, only....
Eric.
This is not possible. Please see my relevant post on Planet Z:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27356

Scroll down to view my post of May 21, 2009 17:12.
John b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

eclectasy wrote:Is there a beta version with some PAT-implementation now?

How is the polyphonic aftertouch different than normal aftertouch in this case, when individual notes as I understand it can't be modulated..?
/Knut
So far, the testing shows that PAT does not work as expected in the plugins. There's some issue with what Scope considers single load modules versus multiple load modules, and the MVC (Midi Voice Control) module that generates the PAT signal exists as a single load module, thereby producing only one PAT signal (which is why Eric gets the result of every other note - probably also meaning that the plugin is set for 2 voice performance, one with PAT and the other without. Extending the voice count should give you one voice with PAT and nothing for the others.)

The difference between "normal" aftertouch and polyphonic aftertouch is that, with poly AT, you can individually create modulation per voice/note played, separate from the others. Regular aftertouch will send the single aftertouch signal to all voices at once.
-john b.
eric

Re: Poly Pressure

Post by eric »

Just thought I'd check back and see if the Solaris Plug has incorporated PAT?
WOW I just saw this is a 2009 thread. Time sure flies!
Just semi-retired so have more time for music now.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Poly Pressure

Post by John Bowen »

I don’t think this was ever addressed in the Scope MVC. We need to ask Holger at SC....