Future of the plug-in

Discuss the Scope version of the Solaris
synthetic

Future of the plug-in

Post by synthetic »

Will the plug-in version continue to evolve based on the hardware synth? I realize that the hardware has more powerful DSP, but will features like the SSM filter make their way into Solaris 4.5 or some future version?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, actually I have a new update for the plug-in coming as well, which will contain the additional filters, and also a few changes to the MIDI clocking of envelopes...and perhaps a few more goodies, depending on time.

regards,
john b.
Last edited by John Bowen on Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

It makes good sense to me to keep the plug-in version going as the hard and software versions will complement each other and the userbase can hopefully still share ideas with each other.

I wonder if John can comment on the preset structure ? Are they compatible? Or will there be a utility to import/export between the two if they are not identical formats?

This may be easier to maintain than trying to make them fit if they don't.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Paul,

The preset structure is completely different, as the hardware Solaris is not using anything from the Scope system (although eventually I hope to port over some of the special DSP files, such as components from the Minimax and Pro-12). There is a USB connector, and there will be an online editor, and through this 'Remote Control' software, perhaps we can figure out a way to make things somewhat compatible. However, there's also a big difference is the system values, so judging an equivalent value from the plug-in to the hardware will be a laborious task.

john b.
midiwhale

Post by midiwhale »

Hi John
I'm sure you can do it yourself, but if you can supply the translation values I'd be happy to write a standalone of RTAS/VST plug-in (PC platform) to convert between plug-in and hardware.

Naturally we could do an intelligent translation to remove any incompatible features.

I can sign an NDA for the file formats, etc..

Anyway, if you do want any help, lmk.

Peter.
Proud owner of Scope Solaris, Orion and RD Drums.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Thanks Peter,

Let's see what happens with the Editor software Holger writes; maybe we can do the basic work in-house, but I definitely appreciate your offer to help.

regards,
john b.
shaynewhite

Post by shaynewhite »

John Bowen wrote:Thanks Peter,

Let's see what happens with the Editor software Holger writes; maybe we can do the basic work in-house, but I definitely appreciate your offer to help.

regards,
john b.
I hope SonicCore has a better beta testing team than CreamWare did. CreamWare's stuff was always brilliant but full of bugs, as we all know.

Of course, your stuff always worked perfectly. :wink:

Shayne
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

And SonicCore will not be responsible for organizing the beta testing, I will.

-john b.
nachtsmeer

Post by nachtsmeer »

John Bowen wrote:And SonicCore will not be responsible for organizing the beta testing, I will.

-john b.
Yes, if you want an important job like this doing properly, then you HAVE to take it seriously - is Bill Gates reading ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Solaris plug-in v5.0 coming...

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Solaris owners!

One of the great things about the Scope Development system is that it allows me to test and try out things in real time, not waiting for dsp code updates (as I have to do with the hardware prototype :-P ). While the coming changes in v5 were originally meant as 'explorations' for the hardware, I decided there was no reason not to offer them in a software update, so I've been taking some time to prepare for that.

Here are some of the changes for forthcoming Solaris v5.0:

1) Mixer Effects
You have a selection of effects (Bit Chop, Decimator, Soft & Hard Distortion, simple (1 pole) Lowpass and Highpass filters, short Delay (416.7 ms maximum), and Rectifier. These have a choice of pre- or post-filter position, on a per mixer basis. The Decimator, LP and HP filters, and Delay have a Modulation Source as well. Finally, there is a dry/wet panning to mix in just the right amount of FX.

2) MIDI Time control of EGs (Envelope Generators) - All envelopes, including the Looping Env (and excepting the Amp ADSR) can be switched to MIDI-related clock values. No Segment Modulation is allowed when under MIDI Clocks.

3) There is a selectable Mod Source for the Amp now, instead of being permanently tied to the Amp ADSR. Sources can be any of the EGs, Envelope Follower, Shaper, SMO, lfo-a through -c, and 1-4 of a new multiplier module, called xPower.

4) xPower- taken from the module I released for Creamware Modular use, this allows you to multiply an input signal by itself a number of times (like 2 to the power of 4 would be equal to 16). The design was originally created to process envelopes, giving an ability to have some 'hyper' sloped shapes, but it can also produce some interesting results on audio signals (a sine wave, for example, will produce additional octaves). You have a Source, a Multiply power of 0-5, and a Pan between "dry and wet", to give you more control over the envelope shapes or final blended output.

5) Noise now separate - Instead of having to 'sacrifice' a MM Oscillator to produce noise, now there are 3 separate noise sources available in mixer and mod list menus. White, Pink, and Bandpass noise. The BP Noise Frequency has a standard Modulation path as well.

6) SSM and Minimax Filters included - Giving even more filter variety, each of the four Filter sections add these 2 types. One thing to know, however - the inputs are quite a bit 'hotter' for these filters, so it's very easy to overdrive them, sometimes in undesirable ways. The MM Oscs are particularly 'loud', so it's wise to lower them in the Mixer to a value of 16-20. An upside to this - the CEM oscillators, which normally produce a lower signal output, are perfect for full level into these 2 filters.

7) Vibrato LFO ModWheel Scaling - I added a sub-page tab to control the taper or scaling of the Mod Wheel signal to this LFO. It's the same type of control as the VelTab (Velocity Table) in the Global section.

8) Individual Oscillator Glide - Long ago, when I started at Moog, one of the things I liked most on their Sonic 6 synth was that you could have glide on just one of the oscillators, giving this wonderful sound of one osc 'following' after the other. Recently, Dave Smith's new (hardware) Prophet '08 also featured separate glide per oscillator, and so I decided to see if I come get around the standard Scope SDK system of Portamento (which is set to work on an All-Voices method). What I came up with gives me the result I wanted, but the panel for it is a bit crowded (unlike the Prophet '08, there are 14 sound sources to affect, instead of 8). There's a switch to turn the overall affect On or Off, and then another choice to have two knobs control all of the Osc 1's and all Osc 2's, or each by individual settings. And it sounds great!

9) Filter Keytrack Amounts all visible - I moved the Filter Keytrack Amounts to the Global pack, and separated them for independent control. They are all visible at the same time.

10) Stereo Formant Filters (replaces Free Filter Bank)

11) 2 more External Inputs - by request, Ext 3 and Ext 4 inputs added, so that you can use the Rotors or VS Mixers with all external sound sources.

That's it, at least so far! I may add just a few controller scalers, but other than that, the update should be available before Christmas. The update fee will probably be around 65 Euros.

regards,
john b.
stardust

Post by stardust »

Thanks John, I really appreciate the constant evolution of your synths.
eclectasy

Re: Solaris plug-in v5.0 coming...

Post by eclectasy »

John Bowen wrote:
6) SSM and Minimax Filters included - Giving even more filter variety, each of the four Filter sections add these 2 types. One thing to know, however - the inputs are quite a bit 'hotter' for these filters, so it's very easy to overdrive them, sometimes in undesirable ways. The MM Oscs are particularly 'loud', so it's wise to lower them in the Mixer to a value of 16-20. An upside to this - the CEM oscillators, which normally produce a lower signal output, are perfect for full level into these 2 filters.
You probably know these filters better than almost anyone John, how would you describe the difference between the SSM and CEM filters, is it chiefly the overdrive you mention..? I have never gotten to compare a P5 rev 2 to a rev 3, so ..

I suppose there are differences between chip models also, but the way people talk it seems the main difference is between the brands.

/Knut
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Knut,
There is a difference in the levels - I can't recall at the moment which is a bit louder (I don't have access to the system right now), so that's one thing. As well, the resonance characteristic is slightly different, and the SSM output has some additional non-linearities in the final stage. This probably accounts for many people saying the SSM was a 'warmer' sounding filter than the CEM.
But the differences are not huge - it really gets down to subtleties, and your personal preferences.

cheers,
john b.
vascomusic

Re:

Post by vascomusic »

John Bowen wrote:Thanks Peter,

regards,
john b.
Hi John,

Is there any news about / progress in exchanging presets between the hardware and plugin version of Solaris ?

Greets,

Miguel
scope4live

Re: Future of the plug-in

Post by scope4live »

I have both and I don’t see how that can possibly happen.
Sure would be nice, then I'd have 2 x Solaris synths for live use.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole