Poly Pressure

Discuss the Scope version of the Solaris
eric

Poly Pressure

Post by eric »

Hi John.

I'm currently running a thread on Planet Z about this and they tell me Solaris implements it. Can you point me at the tech. specs fort the plug? Specifically the MIDI implementation chart.
The questions I have are about what PP can be assigned to.

Eric.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Eric,
I'm afraid Jimmy V. got things a bit confused in his enthusiasm! The keyboard version of Solaris does respond to Poly Pressure, but I've not connected that inside the Solaris plug-in. Actually, there seems to be a connection pad in the Scope library module that handles this, but I've never checked it. If it does handle it, it would be a simple matter to add to the plug-in as well. I'll have to check it out when I have a moment.
-john b.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Sorry Boss.
I assumed incorrectly.
I have no keybed to use PAT with, and I assumed incorrectly about the plugs.
Good to know it can be added, but personally I don't see a big advantage of it's use.
If a PAT keyboard were being used I could understand how nice it would be to play chords and have a single note out of the 4 or voices being louder or bending w/o affected the other held notes.
I'd rather practice something else since developers see no profit in PAT keybed.
We are too used to being w/o it these days, and after having such great success w/ 3-400 controllers, the thought of a 2500 controller just because it has PAT seems like a stretch.
Now if some hardware Rack synths implemented it well like the Code versions from SE, that could be a neat trick live.
Until then I have plenty of pedals and switches to do what I need with hardware and software.

JAV
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

scope4live wrote: I have no keybed to use PAT with
Good to know it can be added, but personally I don't see a big advantage of it's use.
If a PAT keyboard were being used I could understand how nice it would be to play chords and have a single note out of the 4 or voices being louder or bending w/o affected the other held notes.
I'd rather practice something else since developers see no profit in PAT keybed.
We are too used to being w/o it these days, and after having such great success w/ 3-400 controllers, the thought of a 2500 controller just because it has PAT seems like a stretch.
Ah, this is where we differ- I have a 20 year old mint Kurzweil MIDIBoard that transmits PolyAT, and I would gladly pay $3K or more for a modern version. I have been looking closely at the VAX77 (infiniteresponse.com) and would even consider $5K for the Rhodes MK 7. It does far more than "bring out voices," and once you get it you never want to do without. How often do you see a MIDIBoard or a Roland A-80 on eBay?

JB already knows that the first thing I will do when I install my Solaris is to test the PolyAT response, and that it is a 100% dealbreaker for me if it doesn't work.....!!! :evil:
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Then I need to dig out the old Roland A90 if it has PAT. I was unaware of this and gave it to my nephew so he could have a keyboard for his MPC's.
I need to read more about this as it seems as though I was probably drunk during that decade or something.
I had the MV30, D70 and A90 w/a pair of stereo Peavey powered monitors for that 2 year gig. I can't believe it. I have a KS88 sitting in my garage w/ a bad contact, good for kick drums as it's stuck on 127 velocity, I'll give him that and he'll think I'm being nice.
Gotta go read some manuals I guess.
I did have alot of fun then, 1991-93 I believe it was.

http://elpasomusicians.blogspot.com/200 ... -kern.html.............( scroll down to Mike Stone in front of Rueters Neon, he took us to Spectors all the time, and yes, the guy was insane )

I was in the group the Dae Han Sisters that did USO, and lots of high dollar gigs in Hollywood and Vegas.....and they were all girls that actually kicked ass. Mickeal Jacksons dad was our manager then and also lives in Vegas..........and yes, I was a serious party guy then, free drugs and booze evreywhere........Nowdays, I am so straight I have to lay down just to take a crap... :roll: No wonder I didn't know I had a PAT 88'r. I even had the Piano upgrade which wasn't too bad actually.
I am on it Marzzz............I knew I was going learn something from you.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

scope4live wrote:Then I need to dig out the old Roland A90 if it has PAT. I was unaware of this and gave it to my nephew so he could have a keyboard for his MPC's.
Negatory, JimmyV- the Roland A90 does not have polyAT!

A-80 (or A-50) only, or several Ensoniq boards, as well as the Kurz MIDIBoard and the GeneralMusic S2/S3. Prophet T8 has PolyAT, but it is internal only, no MIDI.

Possible new PolyAT boards are the previously mentioned VAX77 and the Rhodes Mk 7 AM (if either ever comes out!).
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Righto...........
I am searching around for an old A80 now.
I have an idea after reading up on PAT more that I can have custom scripts in Kontakt 3.5 made as well as synth tricks.
There's an incredible developer who made a Pedal Steel Guitar and this would be a great trick.

I'll let you know thanks.

JAV
eric

Post by eric »

Well if anyone can use PAT to good effect, Jimmy it's you.

I'll dig out the Elka and get the Solaris Plug. I'm waiting for my 14DSP card to arrive from Hong Kong and the SDK from Germany. 8)

Eric.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Eric,
Once you get your DSP card, let me know. I will make up a Demo version of the Solaris plug-in that adds PolyAT to the Mod Source lists, and you could then try it out before you purchase.
-john b.
eric

Solaris and PAT

Post by eric »

John,

That's a very generous offer.

I'd be happy to try it out.

Thanks,

Eric.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Note on Roland A-80: It has PolyAT, but it is very difficult to use! You need hands of steel to get it to work, even after the Roland-approved mod to increase the PolyAT response.

Best PolyAT keyboard is a Kurzweil MIDIBoard, they come up on eBay every now and then for around $400-500, but they are big and heavy, and you want to find one with the OS 3.0; The PolyAT on the VAX77 worked very well, but I did not like the feel of the keyboard.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I agree on the VAX77.
I tried all of the different " weights " and couldn't see the need personally, but I have pulled off a gig before w/ childs keyboard that had speakers bulit in, but for 2500 USD I thought they might have had something.

I was checking out ebay and all I can find are the4 61 / 76's whcih have to be really suck at PAT.
The Elka and Kurzweil are good old fashioned heavy action and I am sure those dogs will hunt.

I want the Kurzweil actually ande have a search on ebay saved.

Cheers.

scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I have been doing some BETA testing of Kontakt and just realized the external modulation sources have mono and polyphonic aftertouch...
I am going to have to really get involved with this now.
I could easily have custom keyswitching set up to respond to different levels of pressure.

I always remembered my ancient CS80 had a factory string patch that seemed as though it had a slow envelope with initial pressure and then fast strikes yeilded a fast attack envelope, and I never even knew it....
What a moron. Actually I was a lucky teenager who happened to have the 6800 USD to buy one, never really knowing it's capabilities. I sold it less than half of the price in 1981 and bought the OBX.......... :roll:

At any rate Kontakt 3.5 and 3.0 have the options of using PAT as an external modulator and this could significantly enhance custom set ups.

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

marzzz wrote:Note on Roland A-80: It has PolyAT, but it is very difficult to use! You need hands of steel to get it to work, even after the Roland-approved mod to increase the PolyAT response.
I assume this is also true of the A-50?
-jb
eric

PAT Keyboards

Post by eric »

The Elka MK50/88 would be the way to go IMHO
It has PAT with 4 or 5 different curves including inverted. Same with channel AT. It's fuly weighted keybed and is BUILT INTO a flightcase! It's very heavy.

Drawback - It only has 10 note polyphony! I wrote to them in 1990 asking WTF and they said something really silly about only having ten fingers.

I replaced mine because (lack of daily use) I thought some of the keycontacts got noisy and caused multi triggering. They are silver and hard to get to. It would be quite a project to try and clean ALL of them. I put it aside for a rainy month. That month has come :D

Can't find any for sale. Elka went belly up don't know when. Tried to track them down without success.

Looking into others...

Eric.