latch mode for the sequencer?

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

vega

latch mode for the sequencer?

Post by vega »

IT would be fine also to have an editor for the ARPG and SEQUENCER as it was expected and announced ....
Furthermore i am disapointed that there is no more creation of new banks sounds ...
it would be nice if the contrast of the display could be adjusted !
As promised , i am waiting a lot for a MULTI MODE ?
And consequently more POLYPHONY ...
Nevertheless i agree with all of the previous proposals ....
A lot of work , i suppose ....
thanks , and i wish for all a merry christmas and happy new year . :D :P :shock: :wink:
Little Gorilla

Re: latch mode for the sequencer?

Post by Little Gorilla »

Well, I would very wholeheartedly second the request for sequencer latch mode. The other things requested above I could manage without but that latch mode - well, that really would be handy...
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, well, the sequencer is not latchable...it has to do with the sustain function, and when you latch the arpeggiator, you are basically holding aside one voice to do this, so the voice handler is not compromised. With the polyphonic sequencer, you have note on/gate decisions based by settings in Row A of the sequencer, which takes control of everything in the voice handler, so....it's more a "gated sequencer". (This is the same as my Solaris plug-in for Scope, which first appeared in 2002, and can now be found in other synths such as DSI's Evolver and Prophet 8 products.)
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

Oh, OK, thanks. I find that for protracted burbling and gurgling it's quite good to have a slow BPM, the arpeggiator in locked mode, usually with a single note going,with an eight bar step setting and with the sequencer at a 32nd note setting. Thus the slow arpeggiator simulates having a key pressed down and allows for the sequencer to keep running at a reasonable speed produced by the combination of fast step time and very slow BPM. Excellent! Burbling potential! And,so far as I can ascertain, the only way to trigger envelopes without hitting a key again. Which brings me to...

Is it in any way feasible, down the line, to allow the envelopes to be allocated trigger sources from the modulation list, say from a certain level of an LFO, Andromeda style, (comparator), or from a button press?

Not to detract, of course, from the uber flexibility and general super design of the beast - I am merely musing.

Thanks very much.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Little Gorilla wrote:...Is it in any way feasible, down the line, to allow the envelopes to be allocated trigger sources from the modulation list, say from a certain level of an LFO, Andromeda style, (comparator), or from a button press?
We've talked about adding a gate/trigger from the ribbon controller...and I understand the idea of triggering based on thresholds of things like LFOs (there is the Envelope Follower, but that's generating its own envelope, not triggering a voice in the system). I'm not sure what the implications are when triggering voices in this way - or do you only want to trigger the envelopes themselves, without playing a new voice?
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

Hi John- yes, I'd just like to be able to trigger the envelopes without triggering a voice. The ribbon thing would be nice but really I'm thinking of an "ever mutating patch without human intervention" scenario where the envelope was triggered, for example, by a particular output level from a s/h LFO which might itself be having its level modulated by another s/h LFO, so there would be considerable uncertainty as to when and, indeed, if the envelope would be triggered. Then other envelopes could be triggered by preset levels of the first envelope. Long, evolving semi-predictable at best soundscapes.

That's the sort of thing. Really it's about pretty much sidelining the keyboard aspect and exploring the modularesque aspect, I suppose. So, for example, a single held note droning on with envelopes just drifting into action every so often to mess with that drone, but no new notes until I press another key.

Hope that is vaguely helpful!

Thank you.