Poly Pressure / T8 versus MidiBoard

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

galaxiesmerge

Poly Pressure / T8 versus MidiBoard

Post by galaxiesmerge »

I have both the T8 and the MidiBoard and they transmit poly-pressure very differently as you know --- the T8 really does 8 channels of mono pressure for each voice.

I am assuming that once the SOLARIS gets a multi-mode that my wishlist will be solved - but, I really more and more how nice it would be to have multi-sampling with velocity switching and multi-mode to have two different patches split on the keyboard (yes, I know there is a workaround hack to sort of get it) but I think that multi-mode and multisampling for the sample oscillator would make the biggest differences. Again, as previously mentioned, a phase (i.e FM) oscillator type with a 16 segment envelope on the modulation index (replicating the Synergy DK II+) would be incredible. The complexity in sound with multi-stage envelopes for good FM voice cannot be underestimated. For each FM oscillator, and with the SOLARIS architecture, it should not be hard to stack up to 8 patches (as a "multi-patch") to have up to 4x8 = 32 oscillators of complex FM voices (and Phase modulation is compulationally very *cheap*). In fact, if you gave up the use of filters on the FM voices, except for one, you would be quite fine with a moderate cheap filter model since FM sounds so damned good.

So my wishlist has three key pieces:

1) Ability to have mult-samples with velocity switch - I have the entire Emu-II+ emulator (if you can do the Emulator sample algorithm which was a delta-coding, that would be an awesome alternative oscillator "model" for various bit-depths ... it would boost SOLARIS to new highs in terms of its retro and future capabilities). FYI the delta coding patent and Emu patents have run out AFAIK ...
2) Phase Modulation synthesis with at least 16 stage envelopes or control parameters (don't do 4 .. you need at least 8 stages for this, 16 preferred - I recommend a spline function envelope - cheap and good to do) - ability to load and read the Synergy DK-II voices (I can help with this) - I have the complete set of libraries of these sounds and they are *amazing*.
3) Ability to have multi-patches (stackable and velocity responsive so I can variable velocity mix or switching between patches) - so the T8 can control different midi-channel voices or I can just stack em

You have likely seen all my keyboard behavior curve suggestions, but these are my synthesis top 3 now having played with SOLARIS hands on.

Thanks
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Poly Pressure / T8 versus MidiBoard

Post by John Bowen »

Funny you should mention these :-)

#1 is what we discussed last time I was there, and is under way :-)

#2 Phase Mod Osc is still in the future planning stage. Not sure how to show & edit a 16 stage EG - we have the 8-stage Looping EG, but each stage has 2 values - maybe this could be 'unfolded' to become a 16 stage? Probably easier to implement a new EG object.

#3 is part of the MultiMode spec. Not being coded yet, but specified now.

The T8 MIDI Mode 4 isn't used or supported much, but I suppose I can discuss this with Julian. Technically MultiMode could work, as you say. A bit extra work...

jb
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

FWIW, I will pay for any future upgrades as I realize those weren't on the shopping list.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
galaxiesmerge

Post by galaxiesmerge »

scope4live wrote:FWIW, I will pay for any future upgrades as I realize those weren't on the shopping list.

Me too - I will pay for future upgrades as well!
Solaris, Jomox Sunsyn,Modcan, Prophet-T8, Rhodes-Chroma, Pacarana,CS-80, Andromeda,M3,Nord-G2X,DK-Synergy
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

I too think this is quite reasonable. The Access model seems to be produce revenue by sales of upgraded kit, producing free software upgrades. I'd rather pay for software upgrades and avoid loss of residual value in the hardware by new hardware versions producing income. I already do it for softsynths. Bug fixes are of course different!