Routing mixer into output

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Patate le mgae

Routing mixer into output

Post by Patate le mgae »

It will be nice if we can send, for example, mixer 1 on output 3. It will permit to modify the signal with external effects and, why not, use a filter on this modify signal or reinject this modify signal anywhere.
Patate le mgae

Re: Routing mixer into output

Post by Patate le mgae »

After a little thought, i think it's probably not possible to obtain that in the physical configuration of the Solaris.
Perhaps it could be possible to send, for example, vca3 into the output 7/8 but only the vca3.
Probably this is not possible, because of the enable/disable part 1,2,3,4 switch wich are defining the "synth" we can send in the outputs.
Am i right, John ? Or can you imagine a soft solution to this problem ?
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Hmmm … very interesting!
I've been thinking about something along those lines as well—not quite the same, but similar:

The SOLARIS already has a pretty flexible FX architecture, where the inputs of any FX channel can take their signal from various sources. However, besides the external inputs and other FX channels, there is only one source, called 'Synth', which takes the signal from the global stereo VCA.
Wouldn't it be really cool if you could alternatively also select the other VCAs individually?
So for instance one could set up a patch where only the output of VCA 1 is fed into a chorus, but a Sub-Oscillator which is routed through VCA 2 bypasses that chorus. Just one example …
8)

And since the FX channels can be routed to different physical outputs already, this would also make it possible to route individual VCAs to separate outputs. Personally, I don't use much outboard equipment, but others might welcome such possibilities.
Finally, this way you could of course take such a signal from an individual VCA, process it with some external device, and then feed it back into the SOLARIS via one of the external inputs, as Patate le mgae suggests.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

So....there is a final summation point and, as mentioned, this includes a 'global stereo VCA'. All signal processing up to that point is across multiple DSPs. It is here that the voice handling comes into play as well, because you need to know when you can reassign a voice, and there are several ways to determine this, the most typical being (1) the oldest note played, or (2) if there's no sustain on, any voice that is no longer sounding.
If we could route directly the output of a single VCA to the FX Channels, I believe you'd have a problem with the voice handler, because you would have to bypass the global stereo VCA to do this. But I can double-check with the engineers to verify that this is the limitation.

I certainly understand the desire to do this - and it's basically how we are going to handle MultiMode output assignment. But with MultiMode, you have a situation where each Part has a stereo VCA running, and the voice handler can do its job still, so, instead of 'Synth' as one of the choices for the Input signal, you will see something like Part 1, Part 2, etc.. Also, it remains to be seen what we can do to offer more effects, or duplicate effects for each part or FX Channel
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Thank you John,
i now understand why you haven't implement this.
Solaris remains the best synth ever......