Roland

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

marzzz

Roland

Post by marzzz »

I'd like to see emulations of the mid-80's Roland oscillators and filters- Jupiter 8, MKS-70, etc.

The Solaris already covers a lot of the American synths (Moog, Oberheim, Prophet) as well as the Waldorf wavetables.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Roland

Post by John Bowen »

Marzzz,

Do you happen to know what makes the Roland oscs and filters special?
mambajim

Post by mambajim »

Noise and Feedback.
The anglelic voices sound with noise, feedback and boost.
Sounds better w/ boost than the Jupiters, and JX-P.
I get the TB 303 Bass sound with HPF, Distortion and high resonance, again with a feedback path to the mixer.
Even get some crazy FM and Sync by using Oscillators to modulate Oscillators.

Also my CS-80 had Super BPFs.
This sound (without PAT) is easy to do using parallel Filters.
Various BPFs and AP3 can get the exact sound along with Ribbon on Filter, which is more than that 200lb. overpriced P.O.S. did for me.

But alas, I was so into Moog and Oberheim, and after lugging a CS-80 around in an anvil case I dumped it after they discontinued it for a meger 2500 USD in 1983.

Honestly guys, we can get just about any synth you want from Solaris. Right now I am studying schematics and fortunate enough to have audio demos to listen as I tweak.
I am making a preset list of 50, dedicating 10 (x5 banks) for each old synth with their presets.

So far I have the Jupiter 8 / D50 / OBX / XPander 6 voice and MemoryMoog, which btw few know about. It was a FAT BASTARD capable of much more than just Ladder Filters and overdrive/feedback of the Model E original.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

John Bowen wrote:Marzzz,

Do you happen to know what makes the Roland oscs and filters special?
I don't know the specifics, but there is an element of softness, smoothness and lush that kinda defines that sound. Definitely a different flavor.
M-Prod

Post by M-Prod »

mambajim wrote:
So far I have the Jupiter 8 / D50 / OBX / XPander 6 voice and MemoryMoog, which btw few know about. It was a FAT BASTARD capable of much more than just Ladder Filters and overdrive/feedback of the Model E original.
would you be willing to share these? i would love to dive into them and learn from what yo've done.