PWM on SAW waves

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Laurent Lourdin

PWM on SAW waves

Post by Laurent Lourdin »

Hi,

My feature request is PWM on SAW waves. It's a very interesting function found in very few synths. The Roland Alpha Juno series have the best sounding implementation of it I know. And like some other users, I'd like Jupiter 8 oscillators and filter models too.

Laurent
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: PWM on SAW waves

Post by John Bowen »

Since this is a misnomer (obviously a sawtooth does not have a 'pulse width'), just what kind of result are you expecting?
Some synths have a 'symmetry' adjustment to change the wave shape for non-pulse waves; others will make a copy of the saw and blend it with itself, but with a control of the phase (inverted or not) to cause some sort of movement of the timbre. A
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Maybe what we can find in the Rhodes Chroma : "The waveshape can be selected to be either a pulse or a shape called "saws" which is a combination of a pulse and a sawtooth, simulating the sound of two sawteeth. The pulse width (and the saws shape) can be adjusted from 0% to almost 100% and can be modulated." (from Chroma owner's manual).
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

That sounds like a nice idea! While you're at sonic core John, although I'd love 4 part multi mode, I'd settle for at least a 2 way split at this point. I think this is something very common that I think every synth should have. So if you're planning to do a small OS update please try include at least that. My 2nd wish is to have those S/H sync up while holding chords like on the old Oberheims. I forgot what causes this, but we've talked about it before on the forum.

Thanks buddy!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Unfortunately, there’s more to making a 2 way split than you might expect. It’s still a MutiMode thing (thang), which will not be finished any time soon.
The sync issue - good to remind me, it might be addressed with the MIDI clock sync fix.
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

Understood, thanks John. That would take care of at least 1 of my 2 concerns...
Laurent Lourdin

John, to answer your question, I've done a little research to find out what that Alpha Juno "saw pwm" exactly is and found this:

This is the saw with PW parameter at 0, 50 and 75%. Looks like the Alpha Juno generates this waveform using some hidden amplitude modulation. Can you tell me which one of the Solaris AM algorithms I should choose to try to emulate it using a pulse and a ramp wave?

Using the available Shape parameter to add symmetry adjusment to MM1 osc non pulse waves would certainly be interesting !
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Looks like normal amplitude modulation, which you could do just with the Mixers.
Laurent Lourdin

Thank you !
christeck

Post by christeck »

I support this request. many sounds of the Virus sound interesting due to oscillator modulation. It provides both a shape and pusewidth parameter.
The same is valid for the Z1. It provides an edge parameter, which damps the harmonics (effectively a low pass filter), plus a »form« parameter, which means pulse with on a square wave, and also works on triangle and saw waves. Applied to the lattter one, it sounds similar like PWM, and at the extreme ends, it has doubled the cycle, which seems to equal the oscillator one octave up.
christeck

Post by christeck »

Today I tried to emulate some pad sounds of the Korg Z1. Frankly, while the Solaris' strength are lead sounds, it is weak concerning pads. one oscillator of the Z1 with a modulated sawtooth without any effects applied sounds featter as two detuned sawteeth of the Solaris plus chorus.

As an approximation, I use the CEM oscilltor with S+T+P, modulating the »P«. But the modulation sounds thin compared to what the Z1 does.

I tried other tricks, like syncing osc 2 and 4 to 1 and 3 while detuning 1 and 3, but it still sound less warm and consumes all of the 4 oscillators alone.

In case that audio examples are of interest, please let me know.

BTW: While programming the abovementioned pad sounds, I had a lot of fun using the Solaris, and I learned a lot. It's the most flexible synth I ever touched. The Z1 has unique features (e.g. a low pass filter with resonance directly built into the noise generator), and the Solaris can compensate that by its flexible routing capabilities. It's incredible, and a liberating approach compared to the limited audio architecture of the Access Virus. Thanks a bunch.

Have a nice week,

ce
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

I find that hard to believe. The solaris sounds great, have never been able to do memory moog stuff on any other synth then the solaris for instance. And then there is unison and all the tuning that goes with it. Sure it might need a lot of tweaking and the learning curve is high, but the results speak for themselves.
Owner of Solaris #00324