Multitimbral

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

chapolin

Multitimbral

Post by chapolin »

Hello,

1) About the multitimbral mode, for the voices I read that it will be: 2+2+2+4, 2+2+4+2, 2+4+2+2 and 4+2+2+2. But maybe it will be possible to have 6+4 (piano + string), 5+2+2+1, 6+2+1+1, 5+4+1 (piano + string + other ) or 5+5, 8+2, ... ?

2) The ability to choose the sequencers steps in notes names (c1, c#1 ,d1,d#1, ...) and not only in numbers ?

Philippe
Last edited by chapolin on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Multitimbral and Sequencer

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Philippe,

No combination using odd numbers of voices is possible, so it’s not possible to have the 5 + anything that you list.
You could have 6+4, or 8+2 if you want. Minimum assignment is 2 voices.

RE: note names - of course, all relative to the Oscillator tuning, so as long as the tuning is 0, +/- 12, 24, 36, etc., then it would work. But I guess it’s just helpful to set it up.

jb
chapolin

Re: Multitimbral and Sequencer

Post by chapolin »

Thank you for the answer.
And so happy in advance with these possibilities for the multitimbral mode. 6+4 will be good, 6 for the piano or rhode etc and 4 for the strings or pads ... :D
6+2+2 will be so good also: keyboard+bass+lead !!

Philippe
chapolin

Re: Multitimbral

Post by chapolin »

Hello,

Since almost 3 years that I use the Solaris I am very happy. Happy with the sound, but also with the possibilities to create a sound. I am not very experimented in sound design but the Solaris help me to discover this domain and create new sounds to use in my music. The ergonomics and the modular possibilities make it very practical and source of a lot of inspiration, in all my synthesizers (Kronos, Q rack, Andromeda) it is the one that allows me the fastest to create sounds.
So because of this I often use it but now, I think the main limitation of Solaris is its lack of multitimbrality. For me, today is really the new function that should be added, the multitimbrality.
It's really a shame to have such potential power but not to be able to use it to have multiple sounds at the same time. Obviously we can record tracks one after the other, but being able to modify and adapt the sounds in real time is a feature that increases the possibilities of working finely a musical whole.
I think that today the possibilities of the Solaris are huge and perfectly usable, without major problems since the last update of the OS and therefore the multitimbrality would be really welcome, as the last big stone of a beautiful building.
Personally I am ready to add up to 300€ in a common effort of the users to have this possibility but this subject has already been discussed and it is in suspense. I guess it's a complex path and it's a very big job to do. Can we estimate today the road that remains to go to obtain the multitimbrality? What financial investment does this represent if this information were questionable?

Philippe G
david

Post by david »

I agree with you and hope that John reaches out to owners to raise capital for ongoing development. Things can really speed up when you have some ongoing revenue to pay the programmers. I'd also love to see a basic computer editor, with easy and simple loading of samples and patch naming to make those things less technical to achieve, and maybe even some hardware upgrades. I think that current users would support the ongoing upgrade of the current Solaris.
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

have you guys seen the AFX (aphex twin mode) that was released on the novation bass station ? What do you guys make of that ? It might have less use on a big poly monster like the solaris. But it opens up creativity :

"AFX Mode is the realisation of James’ out-there concept. Put simply, it lets you modify your Bass Station II patch on a key-by-key basis. Use it to introduce subtle changes to a sound as you play up and down the keyboard; divide the keyboard into multiple zones (one per key if you like!), each playing its own sound; or create entire drum kits in a single preset for triggering manually or via the Arpeggiator. It’s a truly inspiring feature that really does open up a whole new world of sound design and performance possibilities."
Owner of Solaris #00324