Developer Fund

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Developer Fund

Post by John Bowen »

What do you mean specifically with “Patch-level Random Tune”? Are you using the V1.4.2 OS?
spacegrace

Post by spacegrace »

I overlooked patch-level RndTune in 1.4.2 - thanks for pointing that out!

One additional idea: wave folding for the analog oscillator types.
pinmusica

Post by pinmusica »

Hi,

Could also pay 200€ for having a FM Yamaha style oscillator model (Phase modulation oscillator) and maybe forth, back and forth and back envelope modulation source for all the envelopes (reinterpreting or selecting the last sustain phase as such).

And ¿would it be to much to maybe have a couple of Free Envelopes as in the Yamaha AN1x? (¿maybe chose which envelope type to use as in the filter section?). Pardon me if I'm asking too much :)

Cheers
NightBlue5022

Post by NightBlue5022 »

Hi John,

I would also be willing to donate to the developer fund.

There is a small company in the modular world that has developed some wonderful digital modules called Mutable Instruments. I have several of the modules and they sound great. Since they are built for modular, they are one "voice" and have no memory. I have often thought if one could have a polyphonic Mutable Instruments synth, it would be tremendous.

Their module "Elements" is a combination air, string and solid surface "exciter" combined with a resonator.
"Braids" is an oscillator module with a variety of digital oscillator types and wavetables different from what is in Solaris
"Rings" is a resonator module similar to the one incorporated in Elements but with more options.
"Clouds" is a granular audio processor with delay/reverb.

There is a company that has produced "plug-in" versions of 3 of the Mutable Instruments hardware modules called "Softube".

I am not an engineer so I have no idea what it would take to incorporate the DSP algorithms of any of the Mutable Instrument modules into the embedded system of the Solaris but if any of them (or all of them!) could, I think it would take the Solaris to the next level sonically. "Elements" with 10 voice polyphony and memory for settings would be incredible.

I know this would also involve licensing but the MI owner Oliver Gillet has licensed to Softube and another modular company "Free State FX".

Here are some links:
Elements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqfSDk7cpbc
Braids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgeCO1DD2wA
Rings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0IHt1J ... annel=null
Clouds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Gue_M ... annel=null
Softube (look under “modular”): https://www.softube.com/buy.php

Thanks. Brett
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Thanks for the suggestions, Brett. It’s always of interest to find unique and useful modules - I’ll give them a look!

John b.
Hook

Post by Hook »

I would be willing to bankroll a sound designer to do a full bank of classic synth patches, but this would require finding a professional sound programmer who also has a Solaris, which might be a challenge. (I've been listening to a lot of Gary Numan lately and just love the synth tones he gets, which I think were a lot of MiniMoog and P5)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

NightBlue5022 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:39 pmThere is a small company in the modular world that has developed some wonderful digital modules called Mutable Instruments. I have several of the modules and they sound great. Since they are built for modular, they are one "voice" and have no memory. I have often thought if one could have a polyphonic Mutable Instruments synth, it would be tremendous.
I allow myself to join the discussion... Indeed ! Mutable Instruments is just one guy but he is closed to be a genious ! He almost revolution eurorack way of life just by himself by ending the analog / digital war with his analog when it is better and digital when it is better modules.
He is the one who created the Shruthi, Anushri and Ambika synths. He is a humble guy who looks more like a professor or a serious ingineer. But what he does with audio devices is amazing.
If Olivier Gillet (his name, you can find english interview easily on the web) would join the Solaris team, that would be absolutely fantastic !
Indeed, as Nightblue said, his made some faboulous eurorack modules such as "Element" and else.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I have communicated with Mutable Instruments, and we had a very good discussion. :-)
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

John Bowen wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:37 am I have communicated with Mutable Instruments, and we had a very good discussion. :-)
:mrgreen:

Eh eh eh ! And so ? What came out of that discussion ? Would it be possible for him to begin to think that he could allow himself to plan to find the time to weigh the pros and cons about maybe join the Solaris adventure ? :shock: I hold my breath... Don't be too long to answer ! :P

Alas, I'm afraid he already doesn't have enough time to work on all projects I guess he is working on. But I'd love to know !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
normanion

Post by normanion »

John Bowen wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:37 am I have communicated with Mutable Instruments, and we had a very good discussion. :-)
Holy Cow! I was mind storming this idea, to collect all pros, to post them here! Plaits alone would be a big game changer. If this happens, I am celebrating with choya and sushi!

To supplement: I would add 100 USD for each MI module - Plaits, Elements, Rings, Clouds, Ripples, Warps.

Anyway, John, do you have any non binding offers or even less - like loose notes to share? It's already past first quarter. I do not push you, just kindly ask. ;-)

Cordially,
Norman
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

All development work by Hrast has been done with the EZ-lite kit from Analog Devices. Unfortunately these kits don’t have enough memory space to store an entire Solaris OS, so Hrast has been waiting for a real Solaris main board to do the actual testing and so on. For this we had to wait for the Round 7 PCBs to be delivered, but now we have them, and are able to finally send him one.

So, the expectation of being ready in the first quarter has not been met, but it’s no fault of Hrast’s.
As for Mutable Instruments modules - I cannot comment at this time.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Thanks for the explanation. I think I can wait :)
Octupole

Post by Octupole »

This is great news, a big "thank you" to Željko for taking over this task.

Will the development on the DSP code also include bug fixes? I would appreciate to have this one fixed: https://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic. ... 158#p19900.

Can you already estimate whether polyphony will be affected? (e.g. three voices instead of two per DSP?)

Are you already tackling multimode, or will this eventually be addressed at a later stage?

Thanks for the continuing development!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, I’ve asked HrastProgrammer to fix the key track to envelope issue.
We are also working on a form of MultiMode, but this is mostly in the Blackfin code that Jim is doing.
spacegrace

Post by spacegrace »

Hi John,
Any updates on how the work on the next major version is going?