VCA Boost and Treble

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Dark Horseman

VCA Boost and Treble

Post by Dark Horseman »

I find that the "Boost" feature in the VCA section seems to take away much of the treble frequencies, making the sound very muffled to my ears. This occurs even when the filter section is disabled. I know the intention is to emulate analog VCAs, but this does not happen on the analog instruments I own, such as Prophet 600, Polysix, Juno 60, Model D, etc. I'm not sure if this was intentionally built into the modeling, or is a consequence of the modeling itself, but I'm curious if it would possible to have an option to retain the high-end harmonic content of the signal with the Boost engaged.
Dark Horseman

Re: VCA Boost and Treble

Post by Dark Horseman »

So after posting this, I realized that I hadn't yet experimented with the EQ section for this particular purpose. I boosted the 20,000Hz frequency and found that this helps quite a bit. I'm now going through all my created patches and adding copious amounts of VCA Boost combined with the proper EQ frequency as needed -- wow, it just brought the sound to a whole new level! So glad you included this John!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: VCA Boost and Treble

Post by John Bowen »

The ‘boost’ parameter is actually part of the OTA modeling code that was previously inside the Moog ladder filter code. We decided to put it out separately so it could be added to all the other filter choices. :-)

You can hear the saturation effect most clearly by turning off any oscillators and then put the filter into full resonance, then adjusting the boost.