A way to see destination routing

User Feature Request List

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

A way to see destination routing

Post by John Bowen »

I thought I should mention this, since I’ve had a couple of questions about it:
Like a lot of functions I had/have on my ‘To Do List’ for Solaris, I have in mind a way to display where things are routed for modulation. I thought about a special page that showed all mod matrix routings, but quickly realized this wasn’t very practical, since there are something like 70 mod paths in the Solaris...so here’s my idea:

Using Shift, you hold it while pressing the object Select button to get a list in the graphic display (gfx). So, say you want to see everywhere that LFO 2 is being used - you hold Shift, then press LFO 2, and get all mod routings (even when used as a sidechain ‘strength’ source) to show in the gfx display. Even though we can show up to 8 lines technically, you may still need to scroll the screen, so it would be nice to not have to continue holding Shift. (we should have put an LED on the Shift button, but I digress...)

I’d like to know if anyone else feels this would be helpful - or if you have another way that might be better.

john b.
bgarlow

Re: A way to see destination routing

Post by bgarlow »

I think this would be very helpful. Even if you have to page through a long list of destinations, it would eliminate some guesswork. Heck, you might be able to allow editing of the mod amount for each destination directly from this display...
pfrancq

Post by pfrancq »

Yes, it could definitely be something useful when studying existing patches to understand all the possibilities of the Solaris.
Pascal Francq
koenig

Post by koenig »

I agree that it would be good not to have a button pressed all the time but have it toggle.

One way to solve the lack of LED on the shift button could be to add a shift indicator to the main screen somehow. If it was conspicuous enough, that should do the trick.

My reasoning is that GUI wise would this work as you have your attention on the screen, i.e., the rationale for not having a LED would be that a LED is used only on features that has to do with playing and then you could have a status line of sorts on the main screen for information that has to do with editing (such as shift indicator).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Nice idea re: how to indicate Shift mode. Thanks!
chowderdoof

Post by chowderdoof »

Eccellent ideas all round and would be very helpful!
F5D

Post by F5D »

I would like to see this kind of feature as well! Would make troubleshooting some patches much easier to quickly check, if something is modulating something or not. The Solaris is so feature rich synth and you can use so many ways to program a sound, so remembering all routings used is sometimes hard. So, yes, I definitely support this type of feature. Scrolling a list of routings on the graphical display sounds good!
Tonefloat16

Post by Tonefloat16 »

Being able to quickly see all the destinations for a modulator would be handy indeed. Would definitely cut down on the amount of button presses it takes to search for each one.
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

If I'm not mistaken someone wrote a piece of soft that shows the modularity & routing of the solaris visually. sadly enough I can't find the link anymore. it does not show whats going in your patch but it makes it easier to reverse engineer certain things.
Owner of Solaris #00324
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

bennethos wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:40 am If I'm not mistaken someone wrote a piece of soft that shows the modularity & routing of the solaris visually. sadly enough I can't find the link anymore. it does not show whats going in your patch but it makes it easier to reverse engineer certain things.
You probably are talking about the Solarium software. I’ll ask Jim H. if I can post it over in the Data files section.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Here’s the original topic with a link to download the files: http://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.p ... 379#p21613
bennethos

Post by bennethos »

thx John !
Owner of Solaris #00324
amongstmyselves

Post by amongstmyselves »

This would be very nice.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

This possibility of pressing shift + the key of the different elements to see the destinations would be really welcome, it's a great idea that will add a lot of ergonomics and pleasure to the experience of using the Solaris.