Reverb....

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

serena-5

Reverb....

Post by serena-5 »

Hello John...I was reading (in a german magazine interview) that you were planning down the road to put reverb into the O.S...any developments yet ? Will this eat up computing power needed for the voices ? Thanks......
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Reverb....

Post by John Bowen »

No, the 6th DSP is dedicated to do all current and future effects - the other 5 DSPs are doing the voice work.

john b.
francois

Post by francois »

Wish you could manage to get the Sonic Timeworks reverbs 100 series working on the Solaris. They are very good and do not eat a lot of resources.

Saying that, Sonic Timeworks have stopped all development on Scope, so it's unlikely he would be interested in tweaking his code for the Solaris.
Last edited by francois on Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

francois wrote:Wish you could manage to get the Sonic Timeworks reverbs 100 series working on the Solaris. They are very good and no do eat a lot of resources.
This was the reverb we were trying to put into the Solaris...AND he gave us the approval....but apparently there was no way to ‘protect’ the algorithm from being viewable by Sonic Core, and understandably, Sonic Timeworks wants to protect their algorithms.

john b.
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

A dedicated processor sounds really promising, John...is there then something else in the works along these lines that you can talk about ? Any other plans for this DSP ?? This thing is fun...more fun than I have had in awhile tweaking. Massive analog sounds are so easy....
francois

Post by francois »

I don't know about the feasibility of this, but since the Scope SDK is available (soon to be replaced by a spanking new version, as per Sonic Core statement), could Solaris users with the know-how collaborate via a scheme like soundforge.net to develop new algorythms for the Solaris?

There is no money in it, but after all, for those with the technical ability, it's your machine too!
"Sit Solaris vobiscum"
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Francois,
I have no idea if that’s even possible....it’s an interesting idea, though. I’ll have to ask them.

john b.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

+1 on some kind of reverb; one of the unique and wonderful things about the Solaris is that it sounds excellent even when dry, I have been stripping effects off of many of the presets, but it would be nice to be able to add just a touch of reverb.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

During one of these 3 trips I just made to Germany (!), I did have a chance to discuss adding more effects, since we do have one SHARC handling only the final effects section, and it's far from being completely busy. We could also increase the FX pool with duplicate effects, so, we could have additional delays, or phasers, etc., but of course, you'd have separate pages for these, since you need a complete set of parameters for each duplicate. A reverb was discussed again as well, and what we will have to do is pick a design, create the UI pages for it, and get it done.
There's still so much we'd like to add - especially more InsertFX to 'dirty' things up....it's all a matter of having the time for the coding (keep in mind that I don't have anyone able to work full-time on the Solaris code, unlike most other synth companies).
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

I also do want a reverb (say delay/reverb alg. to keep the 4 FX structure).

To me the FX section is one of the (rare) places to upgrade in the Solaris.
Quality is here for sure but we don't have as much flexibility as the other modules.
What I need in such a high performance synth is :
- most FX parameters modulatable in real time with the huge source modulation list.
- Any FX in any pool (4 x 4 FXs pools) to fully use the 4 output pairs with the expected 4 part-multimode.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

The Sonic Timeworks STW Plate is really nice but way too many features that are unneccesary IMHO.
They are equally good Reverbs in Scope DSP that could be used me thinks.
For example the 5.1 Room is easily expandable vis Decay Time to a Hall, Arena or other Canyons that excite people. It's especially good at emulation of a wooden stage as that's sound I try for since I always get stuck on these dry carpeted sections to keep from scratching the stage.
Another advantage is the 5.1 Room, is it can be used just for 2 Channels and the ER Section isn't needed, just a little Pre-Delay, but it's a great sounding verb, and processed @ 96k will definately wrap around the audio better than these VST tail tailmakers.
Whenever I listen to VST Reverb the initial sound never changes as it would in a real Room/Hall, or hardware effect. Then it just creates a tail which IMHO only adds Mud to a mix.
But Klaus' 5.1 Room is the already made for ADSP 21369 chips, as it wasn't even introduced until the XITE-1 was released.
Right now I use an ancient PCM70 for my Sine-Noise Pings, my sampled Sonars Pings, Steel Drums and other percussive stuff.
But in all reality Solaris needs no masking, it's prefectly proud to sit there naked, unashamed of it chubby thighs.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

if you have more space on the effects DSP can you make a delay with all (or a subset of) the same filters the solaris has available in the feedback?

and, i know that effects cant be modulated by anything from the synth but could they get the midi/main arp clock rate and use it for LFOs? (since they are running on silicon, they wouldn't go out of sync even if just the value was sent to keep them the same)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Neutron wrote:if you have more space on the effects DSP can you make a delay with all (or a subset of) the same filters the solaris has available in the feedback?

and, i know that effects can't be modulated by anything from the synth but could they get the midi/main arp clock rate and use it for LFOs? (since they are running on silicon, they wouldn't go out of sync even if just the value was sent to keep them the same)
1) So you mean to have a selection of filters for the Delay feedback path, similar to the set of filters in the Solaris filter section? A small subset actually - you need LP, HP, BP and Notch basically? These would replace the LP filter that is the Damping circuit (basically, the damping parameter controls the cutoff of this filter).

2) Since the Delay can use MIDI clock to control the timing, it seems possible that the Phaser & Chorus/Flanger lfos could also be modified for this...and it turns out, there's just one more space on the display for each of these! I'll bring it up with Julian.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

John Bowen wrote:During one of these 3 trips I just made to Germany (!), I did have a chance to discuss adding more effects, since we do have one SHARC handling only the final effects section, and it's far from being completely busy. We could also increase the FX pool with duplicate effects, so, we could have additional delays, or phasers, etc., but of course, you'd have separate pages for these, since you need a complete set of parameters for each duplicate. A reverb was discussed again as well, and what we will have to do is pick a design, create the UI pages for it, and get it done.
There's still so much we'd like to add - especially more InsertFX to 'dirty' things up....it's all a matter of having the time for the coding (keep in mind that I don't have anyone able to work full-time on the Solaris code, unlike most other synth companies).
one day, I was thinking it might be cool to have a selection of the filters from the filter section available in the delay feedback loops, and maybe a compressor and/or distortion.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Compressor!