Some MIDI issues

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Christopher

Some MIDI issues

Post by Christopher »

I've come across two MIDI related issues. I'm not sure if they are bugs or if it's just me...

1) pitch wheel range
When I am using the Solaris stand-alone, the pitch wheel works just fine. However when I send pitch bend data to the Solaris via MIDI, the upward range is slightly off. It bends up a little bit more than it should. This is particularly noticeable when I set a larger bend range, e.g. 12 semitones. The resulting sound bends up clearly more than an octave. Interestingly enough this seems to be the case only for bending upwards. Downwards, it seems to work OK.

2) octave up/down buttons
When I set the 'Local-Off' parameter to 'On' (for using the Solaris with a Sequencer), the octave up/down buttons seem to apply to both the internal sound engine and the MIDI data which is sent from the Solaris keyboard. This means that when I use the Solaris with a sequencer, they are applied twice: First the MIDI data which is sent from the Solaris' keyboard to the sequencer is transposed. Then the data coming from the sequencer to the Solaris is transposed again by the internal sound generator.
As a result, the octave shift buttons have twice the effect they should.
(Just for comparison: On the Virus e.g. these are always just applied to the keyboard, not the sound generator directly.)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Some MIDI issues

Post by John Bowen »

Thanks, Christopher, for these observations. I will add these to the list!

john b.
Neil

Re: Some MIDI issues

Post by Neil »

Hi Christopher - I had a similar problem with Cubase and Solaris pitch wheels. In my case after using pitch bend the tuning didn't return correctly to null, but I found the cure. :-)
Just run the calibration routine ( see the manual ) and recalibrate wheels ( I recalibrated everything!) and hey presto everything groovy!
Ps I saw you are in Germany - whereabouts? I'm Mannheim direction.