Ribbon Controller for External Use

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

scope4live

Ribbon Controller for External Use

Post by scope4live »

I know this isn't available as of now, but is it possible down the road to add MIDI as we see in the Arpeggiator..?
The realtime use of the Ribbons with cutoff freq. on Solaris is awesome, and so jitter free that I am hoping the control of external gear is possible..?
If not, I do have an old ExpressionMate by Kurzweil and could send it's MIDI out to CC1-CC4 on Solaris as a modulator, and use one of my hardware mergers to send MIDI to the XITE-1, PC or Analog synths simultaneously.
Just curious, as the recent keypad controlling trick makes Solaris even more valuable as a controller.
I am changing my entire rigs presets to correspond with Solaris. My main 88 noter spits out splits/layers after it recieves the PrgmChng messages, this means each Solaris Preset basically controls the entire rig...Sweet.

Greed......Mans purest emotion.

Ankyu
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
scope4live

Re: Ribbon Controller for External Use

Post by scope4live »

Also the ability to store MIDI Channels, Local On/Off and Polarity values per preset.
I like using 2 x MIDI Controllers on stage and Solaris is starting to have Init/Controller presets where I don't use it's internal sounds.
Odd request, but at least the storing of parameters per preset would vastly add needed features for live users.

Ankyu

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Jimmy,

This sounds like something for MultiSets, not the Preset environment.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

So is it possible to call what we have now Part I of future Multi Sets...?

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Well, I already have a specification for MultiSets, and most of what you requested is in there. I'll see if we can add your Polarity values - but what do you mean by that? :-)
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Well it's no biggie as once they are set to negative values, they are applied to each preset, but it's similar to the EG running fix.
They could be useful though if switching around were stored. This makes the pedal switch from step on/off status to a toggle, which is useful when you want a sound sustained while you use another pedal from your other controller, especially if the sustained part on Solaris would be an Arpeggio, but actually haing the button on the UI ( lower left ) is really a great idea, as long as you have that free hand.
My ideas are not mainstream as I am always looking at things for live use that most folks aren't really thinking about.
For example I used a Bass Guitar pick to sustain notes on my old ARP String Ensemble.
Once into my part on another synth I could reach over and grab for the next move..
To make that work pon modern keybeds I would need a rubber Piano Tuning Wedge.

John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Ah, so you are referring to the foot pedal polarities? These shouldn't be switched, since the characteristic of the polarity is in the hardware pedal.

However, you are I think wanting to have the Mod stored per preset - Toggle or Momentary, and these are already currently stored per preset! This goes for the Assignable buttons as well as the foot pedals.

So I'm not sure what you are missing there....
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

You are correctamundo, I have been using those for adding 2 different Glide values for Oscillators, I should have remembered this, just got home and will get to work immediately.
It's nice having such a mobile rig now...

THanks Chief..