ModWheel Control For Boost Parameter

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

scope4live

ModWheel Control For Boost Parameter

Post by scope4live »

JB,
Is there some Bowen-esque way of atttaching the Boost parameter to the ModWheel...?
I have the old Tuned Noise preset which sounds marvellous digitally recreated, but to get the lower octaves to have more attack, I find the boost parameter sounds fantastic.
This does make the higher octaves have way too much bite, so Expression Pedal or ModWheel would be cool if there's some round about way to route this.
I can send you the preset too if it would help.
But i must say i have never had so much control over this type of preset before and with the boost parameter the sound is just so beautifully mangled....

Ankyu
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: ModWheel Control For Boost Parameter

Post by John Bowen »

Hi Jimmy,

hmmm, I don't think so...this would have to be something added in a future version, of possible.

jb
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

OK Thanks, I can swing it with one of the 5 buttons under the Main LCD. But it is a really touchy parameter as just going from 0-18 has a noticable sound timbre shift, 19-40, etc. and so on.
It's amazing that a parameter so seemingly insignificant can yeild such drastic and useful results.
I must post a snippet of it as it reminds me of a really cool Sonar Ping with differing amounts of tube dirt attached to it.
A great sound compared to the original Roland TB303 where I first heard this sound. For some reason Solaris has way more control over the distortion than the Analog synth does. The Roland was not as intricate.

Cheers

scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I have assigned Boost and realized I can use it for seperate Oscillators by ensuring only certain Oscillators are assigned to their own mixer..!!
This is excellent.

Is there a way to attach any controllers to the 5 Assignable knobs under the Main LCD..?
If not, that would be a great future upgrade, but the knobs are pretty precise, my only beef is resorting to using one hand during performing, but if your gig is to play Solaris only and the group has enough players to allow this, it's fine. Just like using a Ribbon Controller for Filter Sweeps, etc.

But one thing that is really nice is applying Boost to Prophet VS Wavetables, and Waldorf Oscillators.
Having brightness boosts from higher resonance values is a great way to use the above mentioned sound sources, and the Boost actually works like Tube Overdrive. It's really a beautifully mangled sound, and it really seperates it from the more traditional synth sounds. So when mixing sources together, I can get the LFO to pan these Waldorf/VS sounds to wrap around the Traditional synth sounds, and the result is not only signature sounding, but just powerful, FAT and precise.

Again, Solaris prooves itself the finest hardware synth I have ever owned, and I pity the poor saps that share my stage. I actually tire from punishing the laptop Windows synth guys. There's just no honor in it anymore... 8)