NRPN & Cubase

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Neil

Re: NRPN & Cubase

Post by Neil »

Sounds like we've lots in common - I've a moog Ring mod, phaser & delay which I often put between my C3 or A100 & Leslie.
But gambling is the only addiction I've managed to avoid so far in life.
But seriously Jimmy what's your thoughts on all this NRPN business?
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Fellow warriors of DSP, no doubt.
Gambling isn't an addiction - it's a bonus. Musicians and Culinary folks know the tricks and can make an extra couple of bones every payday, but you must go to a convenience store.
FWIW in Nevada, 100 dollar bills flow everywhere, but to use them in a convenience store you must stick them in a video poker game and hit cash out, w/o betting. The counter then receives 5 x 20s from the underground safe and distributes said monies.
Also in the State of Nevada state laws and gaming board regulations make sure the games pay 98.9% payback, so when 50-60 people exchange their hundred dollar bills in the poker game, the game actually registers this cash and pays out quicker as it doesn't know the person cashed out, only what comes in.
After x-amount of dollars the machines start their payback cycle, and employees are not allowed to play, so they can call me and we work out the splits.
Also the screens show 24 game choices. These remain until you choose playing 2$ bets. Now the choices drop from 24 to 10, this means your odds rise even further. These 2 factors of cycled paybacks and odds increases means you can sit down and within 5 minutes and tell if you are going to hit big hands or not.
Sometimes I lose 20 and say ---- it. 9 out of 10 times I can hit and run for 1-200. Being a trained professional and not stricken with mans purest emotion (greed) I get up and leave, as I can always come back. So if you visit me in Nevada, I can show you how to get paid for coming. But you only need leave the guided tour as the machines on the strip are pounced upon by slot teams and vultures who watch and wait like patient predators.

NRPN stuff just doesn't appeal to me very much, but I do have a list of features I would love to see incorporated like the 5 assignable knobs having multiple destinations, with negative/positive and offsets. Then being able to attach an expression pedal to the knob would be a grand feature.

But since I don't use sequencers much anymore, I grew weary of them in the mid 90's after 6 nights a week for 10 years. Rather just play what I hear and improvize swells timed by the ribbon, etc.
But if I were an indoor cat the automations would be useful for overdubbing.

If I get lucky again and get signed, I will demand I have my own Road Crew of Black Bikini'd babes, 2 x onstage at all time that have memorized the automations I need and perform them.
It's really boring looking at singers, I actually know how to captivate the audience. Have played in all girl bands and while doing so see the seats sell out early. Then playing in a really great band where the musicianship skills are supreme, and nobody cares. So just give me the cash and the babes. I'll impress myself at home, at the gig, keep it stupid and sexy...
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Neil

Post by Neil »

Fortunately I do have a crew to carry & Setup my rig on tour - but in my alternative life in my studio control is everything and I've only the two hands so even if it's boring (I completely agree!) automation of parameters is a necessary evil I'm afraid...
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

I got 2 Re Unions this year with a group I was signed with years back and instead of getting Fresh Roadies with some nuts left, they are using the same bastards that cried years ago as they unsheathed the B3, CS80 and Yamaha CP Grand, all with super heavy ass Anvils.
I'll make sure they earn their money, as I use to Pour Concrete whenever we weren't touring so I would try and motivate the Crew.
I can't wait to see these guys in action as I was the baby of the band everyone was 10 years older than me, so now they are close to retirement age, and since the band leaders make major cash, and as usual I don't, I will only work with my ears....

Glad to see others using Solaris on the road.
I have a great case I bought from A&S Cases of Hollywood. They even had the Beige Snakeskin I used on my racks back in the '80s, as it was scratch proof synthetic stuff, really cool stuff.

The point was that Solaris in the gig bag I use for my local gigs has been fine so far, but I will be flying Solaris back East for the gathering of the Rock Gods... :mrgreen:
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole