What power-adaptor for the Solaris?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Jaulus

What power-adaptor for the Solaris?

Post by Jaulus »

Hello, I moved with my studio and after building it up again I wondered why the power-adaptor did not fit any more into the Solaris. So I guess something got mixed up (I've got over 50 synths)... I searched everywhere over a week, but no success. Finally I found a fitting adaptor, first I thought it is from my Solaris, but now I think it was from a little laptop. Because first it worked, and I (successfully) updated my OS from the card by holding enter. But after starting again with the new OS it hang up while booting. After that I switched it on again and all screens only flicker, no boot process any more.

Can somebody post the correct voltage parameters of the external power adaptor?
What is written on it, how does it look like?

I did not find any picture of it, but hope when I find the right one it will work again. I miss my Solaris.

Thanks

Paul
Solaris, Sunsyn MKII, Wave 2.2, Andromeda, Omega 8, G2X, OB8, Jupiter 6, MKS80, Minimoog, VX 600, Trident MK2
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: What power-adaptor for the Solaris?

Post by John Bowen »

Input is 100-240V. You need the output to be +12 volts at 2.5 Amps (or more...you could use 3.0 Amps as well).

Probably you are having a problem with the connector, because some of them on the market have smaller diameter plugs. The Solaris uses a 2.5mm x 5.5mm x 9.5mm connector.
Jaulus

Post by Jaulus »

Thank you John, you know my Solaris well (from Vienna)... may you please post/send me a pic of the adaptor that came with mine or what's written on it? I think this would solve it... I just have hundreds of adaptors and I want to find the right one.
Solaris, Sunsyn MKII, Wave 2.2, Andromeda, Omega 8, G2X, OB8, Jupiter 6, MKS80, Minimoog, VX 600, Trident MK2
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Most likely it is a model from Sunny Computer Technology. We've used a couple of different sources in the past, but Sunny is the current provider.

Update:
I found that we did use one from Kysan Electronics long ago:

http://store.kysanelectronics.com/servl ... 2.5/Detail
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

You could also use the following: HGPower model ADPV16 (this is a 3.0 Amp output).
Jaulus

Post by Jaulus »

John Bowen wrote:
Update:
I found that we did use one from Kysan Electronics long ago:

http://store.kysanelectronics.com/servl ... 2.5/Detail
Thanks, yes that's how I remember it. I wish to find that one again. Now I used a Model with 19V and 3.42A. I hope the additional volts did not "shoot" something inside?

Update:
I think you were right, it seems it was a connection problem with the "new" adaptor. It looks like it works now after adjusting the connection.
Last edited by Jaulus on Sun May 19, 2013 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmm, not good! You used a supply that outputted 19 Volts?!?!?!?!

Something surely got fried....
Jaulus

Post by Jaulus »

Yes 19 Volts. There was not one around with 12 Volts and over 3A. AFAIK the Volts are flexible for the machine, meaning the unit draws that number of Volts that it needs... the A are to be aware of.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

I was pretty surprised how small the Solaris power adapter was. Also, usually a good idea to label the power adapter so that you don't mix them up....!
Jaulus

Post by Jaulus »

I strictly begann to label all of them over a year ago... for some unknown reason I forgot to do so on the Solaris. :roll:

Thanks for the hint with the smallness, chances are good that it will show up when the full relocation is done.
Wavemaster

Post by Wavemaster »

Hi folks,

I did not open the solaris yet, but the will surely be enough place in side to mount some high quality power supply in fixed installation.

Got this theme with the dsi poly evolver as well and now that works fine.

There are lots of synths with fixed installeed power supplies on this planet and they don´t have any problems with supposed interfering frequencies.

Think, using external supplies is much easier to accord to current safety regulations and receive certifications as CE signs ...

Sorry, dear technical designers but you can crucify me for this - meanwhile it´s sometimes a bad manner to blame the otherwise level of the great machines in this way.

lg
valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

Jaulus wrote:Yes 19 Volts. There was not one around with 12 Volts and over 3A. AFAIK the Volts are flexible for the machine, meaning the unit draws that number of Volts that it needs... the A are to be aware of.
This is not correct, the unit will draw the AMPERAGE it needs iirc, voltage can certainly fry the internals. You are lucky!
Little Gorilla

Post by Little Gorilla »

valis wrote:
Jaulus wrote:Yes 19 Volts. There was not one around with 12 Volts and over 3A. AFAIK the Volts are flexible for the machine, meaning the unit draws that number of Volts that it needs... the A are to be aware of.
This is not correct, the unit will draw the AMPERAGE it needs!
I am in agreement with that - get the volts right and the unit will take the current (amperage) that it needs, assuming that the supply can give out at least the required current. Might be a good idea also to state the correct polarity, assuming it to be a D.C. output, that is.
normanion

Post by normanion »

John Bowen wrote: Sun May 19, 2013 1:27 pm Input is 100-240V. You need the output to be +12 volts at 2.5 Amps (or more...you could use 3.0 Amps as well).

Probably you are having a problem with the connector, because some of them on the market have smaller diameter plugs. The Solaris uses a 2.5mm x 5.5mm x 9.5mm connector.
Hi John!

What's the polarity of power output? I mean: does "+12 volts" mean tip or sleeve positive?

Cheers!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

For the Solaris supply, it’s + power to the tip and ground to the sleeve.

FYI, our current power supply is as follows:

Sunny Computer Technology Europe
Model: SYS1419-3612
Part number: SYS1419-3612-T2
Input: 100-240V~1.5A MAX 50-60Hz
Output: 12V --- 3A
Output Power:30 W MAX