Some things make me go hmm...

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Peppepappa

Some things make me go hmm...

Post by Peppepappa »

I've tried quite a few times hook up my Solaris with my Mac/Logic 9.1.8, but every time I connect USB cable, Logic stops responding to all midi traffic. It totally freezes RME's MIDI driver, and I'm forced to reboot my Mac.

The only way to hook this thing up with anything is with MIDI cabling, which in 2013 is a bit disappointing. Also, every time I touch Solaris' volume knob, Logic's channel volume changes etc. - of course, all these symptoms could be cured by inserting several Transformer objects into Logic Environment, but... I need to go through about 80-90 Logic projects, and having to update each is a time consuming task, even though I used the Logic's Import Environment features.

For future updates, would it be possible to have a separate toggle for the master volume parameter MIDI transmit?

Also, has _anyone_ managed to hook Solaris up with a Mac via a USB cable? If so, helping words (other than "quit your day job") would be welcome. I'd like to think I'm not a newcomer, been doing this for my living since 1990, but sometimes I feel so damn stupid - such as right now.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Some things make me go hmm...

Post by John Bowen »

I connect it to my Macbook with no problem using the USB connection only...what are your settings on your initial MIDI page?

john b.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Same here- my Solaris is connected to my MacBook Pro and Logic via USB; works perfectly, and in fact everything in my studio is connected that way. Only when my Voyager comes back from Moog will I even have to consider dealing with a MIDI cable.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Works on my PC just fine, but I prefer MIDI from PCI-e/PCI.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
Neil

Post by Neil »

You're not alone - I cannot using USB midi with my Mac/Cubase setup.
The Mac doesn't crash for me though - the Solaris does.