Saving your Global INIT file

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Saving your Global INIT file

Post by John Bowen »

I have been receiving several comments about not being able to save the MIDI settings, or foot pedal polarity, and I guess this is something that is not very clear in the User Guide, so I wanted to post it here as well:

To have the Solaris boot up each time in the settings you want, you need to save your Global INIT file to your CF card!

This stores the following:

1) All parameters on the System Page
2) All settings for MIDI
3) The polarity settings for the foot pedals
4) The Aftertouch and Velocity Tables

This file is loaded every time you turn on the Solaris.

To save this file, go to the System page, turn the upper right knob that matches with the word 'Save', and change it to 'Active', then press Enter to save to your card.
Zahush76

Re: Saving your Global INIT file

Post by Zahush76 »

About that - there appears to be something which seems not to be a Global setting, and i'm talking about the outputs.
I just got TOSlink cables and i manage to hear the Solaris thru my interface going into cubase and out to the monitors -and it sounds great (i've set cubase to 96khz, and the solaris sounds much better than with 1\4" cables).
But i've noticed i can hear some presets - but some i can't. It seems that the output settings are per preset, and not Global. So each time i want to hear a preset that "i can't hear" - i have to set its S-P\DIF output to FXchan1 and save it. I've tried to save via the System save function, but it doesn't - since it's a per preset setting.
For programming purposes i can create the INIT preset to send out S-P\DIF. But if i simply want to scroll thru existing presets it's just annoying...

Not entierly related - but stil regarding the TOSLINK connections, i have also found out that when the sound comes out thru the digital outputs - the overall volume can't be controlled via the master volume knob. The volume of a preset stays the same even if i set the master volume knob to zero. Am i overlooking something?
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Volume knob becomes detached when using TOSLink.
Actually forces one to use a Meter inside of a DAW for Correlation and settings.

I am using the XITE-1 DSP rack and rows of other SHARC DSPs like Solaris uses.
This actually taught me alot about getting signals matched up as I use Analog hardware
along with Solaris, and even have old RDII Modules from JBowen and soft Solaris
in Modular IV for extra Filters not used in the hardware Solaris.
But it's pretty interesting to stay on -3db using Analog and Digital simultaneously.
Teaches one to use eyes and ears as sometimes the ears aren't quite as accurate as
we would like.

Thanks for the tip JB. I always reset mine when I boot up, but if this works it will be one less
thing I need to do.
Attachments
ANALYZER MIXERS EQ.png
ANALYZER MIXERS EQ.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 28790 times
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Zahush76 wrote:About that - there appears to be something which seems not to be a Global setting, and i'm talking about the outputs.
I just got TOSlink cables and i manage to hear the Solaris thru my interface going into cubase and out to the monitors -and it sounds great (i've set cubase to 96khz, and the solaris sounds much better than with 1\4" cables).
But i've noticed i can hear some presets - but some i can't. It seems that the output settings are per preset, and not Global. So each time i want to hear a preset that "i can't hear" - i have to set its S-P\DIF output to FXchan1 and save it. I've tried to save via the System save function, but it doesn't - since it's a per preset setting.
For programming purposes i can create the INIT preset to send out S-P\DIF. But if i simply want to scroll thru existing presets it's just annoying...

Not entierly related - but stil regarding the TOSLINK connections, i have also found out that when the sound comes out thru the digital outputs - the overall volume can't be controlled via the master volume knob. The volume of a preset stays the same even if i set the master volume knob to zero. Am i overlooking something?
Zahush76,
This is exactly why we put the option labeled Load Outs in the System page. Because all of the presets have the output routing stored, with the default being the analog outputs 1&2, we knew that if you switched to the digital outputs, you would need to bypass the programmed settings. So, just set the LoadOuts to Off. Then save your Global INIT file, and the output routing will stay at whatever you manually set it as you step through the Presets!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Zahush76 wrote:Not entierly related - but still regarding the TOSLINK connections, i have also found out that when the sound comes out thru the digital outputs - the overall volume can't be controlled via the master volume knob. The volume of a preset stays the same even if i set the master volume knob to zero. Am i overlooking something?
Yes, as Jimmy points out, the Volume control does not affect the digital outputs. This is because it is an Analog Control, which happens in the sound chain after the digital outs.
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

John Bowen wrote:Then save your Global INIT file, and the output routing will stay at whatever you manually set it as you step through the Presets!
I'm sorry but i don't know what's the "Global INIT file", nor have i found anything about it on the index in the manual - besides what's on pg 36.
What i experience after i set the loadouts to "off" is that when i reboot - there's no sound. I go to one of the INIT presets (there are dozens, so i don't know what is the "Global INIT") and enable the S-P\DIF output to FXchannel1, save it, and then all the presets i play automatically set this way.
But after i turn the Solaris off and reboot - it doesn't remember the setting. I have to manually do it each time i reboot.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I explain how to save the Global INIT file in my first post here above!!!
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Glad I read this.
Works perfectly well for me and it's nice having the Joystick, MIDI Channel, pedal assignments and polarity all ready.
Just to bust balls a little, have samples load in the future as it is so difficult having to do those extra 3 button presses....... 8)

Just Kiddin'.

Ankyu

Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

John Bowen wrote:I explain how to save the Global INIT file in my first post here above!!!
What makes you think i didn't read - and follow your instructions? It just doesn't work on MY unit. Here's what i do:
1) Boot up the Solaris.
2) In one of the presets i go to the "Output" page. Set the "Out 1-2" to "off", and the "S\P-DIF" to "FXchan1".
3) I go to the system menu and set "LoadOuts" to "off".
4) I change the "Save" to "active". The light on the Enter button blinks, and i press the Enter button. The "Save" returns to "off" and the light stops blinking.
5) I turn off the Solaris, wait a few seconds and reboot. It's the same as before. No sound. When i go to the "Output" page of any preset, i see all the outputs are set to "off".
So perhaps i'm missing something?

I also tried the same proccedure, but this time with "LoadOuts" set to on. After rebooting, the presets are set as they came from the factory.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Ahhh, yes, OK...here's the thing I didn't address - the default setting - sorry about the confusion, my apologies.

When you reboot the Solaris now, the Load Outs is Off, so the default setting puts everything in the Off position. the Solaris has no way of knowing what it is you want for the output routing, as it is not saved to the Global INIT file - only the fact that it should load the values from the Preset, or not. Whatever is manually set at that point will stay, but you have no way of establishing the default settings to S/PDIF On for the boot up routine. When you make it so that the Solaris doesn't load the Output assignments, you always have to manually set it to the routing you want, after you first boot up.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding. Perhaps this is something we can add to the Global INIT file for a future OS version.

John b.
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

So as i was saying in my first reply - it only leaves me with the option of going thru each and every preset, changing the s\p-dif to FXchan, and saving the specific preset - which is a lot of work...
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, that is the other option - but I don't understand why it is such a problem to simply set it manually when you first boot up the synth?
Zahush76

Post by Zahush76 »

That's the thing. Setting it manualy on each bootup - adds another stage in the way to start playing. I think you'd agree it'd be better, simpler and more "elegant" to be able to set it once, globaly, and be done with it - than to set it each time after reboot.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, as I said, I can put in as a request to add to the global init file, but for now, it's a lot of work to reprogram each preset, so for the immediate future, just set it manually seems to me the simpler way...
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Now I am confused.
I made Banks for Digital I/O and Analog I/O but my Boot Up Preset uses FX Channel 1 on Rotor Dreams.
This way I can boot up into SP/DIF, which then goes TOSLink to HOSA ODL to XITE-1 AES/EBU

It has:
{FX Chan}

FX Chan1
Input/Synth _____FX-1 Chor/Fla____FX-2 Phaser____FX-3 Delay___FX-4 EQ

{Outputs}

Output 1/2___FX Channel 1
Output 3/4
Output 5/6
Output 7/8
SP/DIF_______FX Channel1

Whether this is unconventional or not I am not sure.
But this is how I load into Digital I/O upon Boot Up.

Hope this helps.