Automating the Joystick

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

Toby Emerson

Automating the Joystick

Post by Toby Emerson »

So I'm really liking assigning parameters to the joystick for control and am trying to automate the X and Y axis in my DAW.

It appears JoyX and JoyY are general purpose controllers 1 & 2 (CC16 & 17?) however that doesn't seem to be working. I seem to be able to automate the mod wheel CC1 fine - anyone know if I am doing something wrong or have some ideas?

Cheers
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Automating the Joystick

Post by John Bowen »

Toby,

I'm not sure if the standard CCs other than Pitch Bend (which is a sort of 'special' controller number) are being implemented, because of the NRPN approach to MIDI data communication. I'll have to ask Julian.
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

In the meantime I have found a workaround which works pretty well (just an extra step of linking). I used CC1 in the modulation source to link the parameters I want and then in the MIDI page on the main screen I just set CC1 to 16.
valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

So I'm curious, if the X/Y is sending NRPN's what is the resolution? If greater than 128 steps and you assign CC1 > CC16 to achieve similar control, is a slew limiter necessary to smooth param jumps?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

The joystick info was not being received by the Solaris is any OS prior to v1.3, so please update to get this functioning!