New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Post by John Bowen »

marzzz wrote:11) last preset on power-up
12) optimization for 15 note polyphony (I realize this would be a large undertaking, but I think it would be worth it for further sales)
Ah, I forgot about the "last preset used on power-up". I think this one should be easy, since there's just this one parameter stored in the boot-up process for which preset to recall on booting.

RE: 15 note polyphony - alas, this is not so easy. From our discussion last time I was in Germany in June, it's due to the size of the Oscillator code that limits how much polyphony we can have. If we could implement something like the Blofeld does, where you can select a 'mode' that decides if you will be using 4 or 2 oscillators, then it should be possible to increase polyphony somewhat. This would all be a part of what they have to code for MultiMode, so I will have to see how things go when we get to that point.

john b.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

John Bowen wrote:
marzzz wrote:RE: 15 note polyphony - alas, this is not so easy. From our discussion last time I was in Germany in June, it's due to the size of the Oscillator code that limits how much polyphony we can have. If we could implement something like the Blofeld does, where you can select a 'mode' that decides if you will be using 4 or 2 oscillators, then it should be possible to increase polyphony somewhat. This would all be a part of what they have to code for MultiMode, so I will have to see how things go when we get to that point.
Understood; I think it will remove one of the two main objections (other = multi-mode) that people have regarding the Solaris, and will help sales. Is this 'mode' selectable per preset on the Blofeld?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

marzzz wrote:.... Is this 'mode' selectable per preset on the Blofeld?
Apparently - I don't know, I haven't worked with a Blofeld.
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Why would you? :wink:
M-Prod

Post by M-Prod »

I 'd gladly pay for major updates. I think it's normal to pay for expansions wether they be hardware or software. Native instruments just anounced a major release for maschine and it's (worth the) 99 euro/dollar. My guess is the solaris update would cost more though (?).

How about financing this the same way as the solaris? Pre pay for development. If that is what is needed to start programming. I know this update will be worth the wait and price just as the Solaris was according to all owner statements. And if this enables some crucial features like polyphony and multi mode, then I believe this might up the sales and enable even further development. Just some ideas.
tinhu

Post by tinhu »

M-Prod wrote:I 'd gladly pay for major updates. I think it's normal to pay for expansions wether they be hardware or software. Native instruments just anounced a major release for maschine and it's (worth the) 99 euro/dollar. My guess is the solaris update would cost more though (?).

How about financing this the same way as the solaris? Pre pay for development. If that is what is needed to start programming. I know this update will be worth the wait and price just as the Solaris was according to all owner statements. And if this enables some crucial features like polyphony and multi mode, then I believe this might up the sales and enable even further development. Just some ideas.
Yes , i think too ...
"switched on bach"
papaZooZoo

Post by papaZooZoo »

I am also is ready
We are waiting for what he would say John?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, we are waiting....
Octupole

Post by Octupole »

Another bug I would appreciate to be fixed is the Envelope Rate Modulation problem (value of previous note is taken instead of actual note). Rate modulation by keyboard tracking is valuable for percussive sounds.

All of the above mentioned new features would be nice to have; my personal top favourites would be:
6) add MultiMode
7) add analog 'drift' or 'slop' (as DSI calls it) function, in some form - simple or complex

I would definitively be willing to pay for major upgrades, like stated by others before.

Just my 2 cents ...
valis
Site Admin

Post by valis »

I wouldn't mind if 'drift' was switchable (or has a parameter range that allows variable selection) between something musically coherent (keeping things within the hermode range or etc) and 'completely random'.
darkshine75011

Post by darkshine75011 »

?) add MultiSample mapping
?) add MultiMode with split and layer
Split and layer fonction, I think it is a good idea ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, these are on the list, as you can see in page 1 of this subject....
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

Hi John,

For me in terms of bugs/almost bugs

1. the midi buffer issue that makes it impossible to use the solaris for anything other than live in my complex set up
2. The redesign of the comb filter to allow more flexible KS effects

I'm also happy to prepay for a major release of new software.

Cheers
marzzz

Post by marzzz »

Since JB said there was still a lot of room on the SHARC dedicated to effects (you did say that, didn't you?), as far as effects themselves I would love to see:

1) Reverb (of course!)
2) Compressor- I have been using PSP VintageWarmer2 on just about everything I do ITB, it sounds amazing- gives the digital tones that extra "warmth" and "oomph." I would love to see something similar in the effects section of the Solaris.

And yeah, I'll pre-pay.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Reverb we have definitely discussed; compressor not (so far). I will ask....