New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

M-Prod

Re: New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Post by M-Prod »

k-Tracker wrote:That's a tough situation. I've just read complete thread after the registration on the forum. Hope, bugs will be fixed, no matter who will do that. But, I'm sorry to others I can't stay calm about Julian's attitude to the OS development. John was extremely polite. Let's separate new feature implementation from a bug fixing. No matter how he agreed to develop the OS before, he committed to do it. Bugs are the consequences of bad execution, lack of testing or simply human factor. That's debt of honor of that person to correct it. But instead of this he was delaying the start and slight unpleasantness with John. I have no interest to LXR and that's emotionally motivated. I simply do want to have any deal with such person. Apologies for being so direct in the way of thinking.
Agree and thanks for being direct. I feel the same. Don't know all The ins and outs and motivations but it feels as if for large part the major development delay might also be due to a lack of commitment and inflexible attitude. Real shame because he did a great job to begin with.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi John, may I please ask if you have any news for us about an OS update solving all these midi problems?
I don't mean to sound impatient (but I am!). Thanks.
roginator

Post by roginator »

when do you expect new update of OS .. I love sound of Solaris .. BUT in 3 days I had 4 freezing during the work :(
ostrovitch

Post by ostrovitch »

For me, what I would like to be resolved it's the problem of the hold pedal which produces lags. It really has a direct impact on the music.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hi everyone,
So far, all I can tell you is ‘not soon’. I will make a general announcement when it’s time.

john b.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Hello Everyone,

So, I have just returned from a short trip (6 days) to Germany. My 2 goals were to see when we can expect the 4th round of production to start, and when Sonic Core would be releasing the OS code to Arun (galaxiesmerge) or Hermann in Vienna so that we could finally see some progress on the bug fixing.

For the 4th round, I managed to visit the new metal works factory, and the cases/cabinets look really excellent. BAS, however, hasn't made any main boards yet, so I am told to expect a small number built up just before Christmas.

Since everyone here are owners already, the 4th production round isn't really of interest to you, however, the bug fixing schedule is. Here is the deal:

As most of you know, I was in Germany discussing things following Messe last March (2014). At that point, Holger at Sonic Core stated that before he gave anyone else access to the code, he needed to go through it to understand how it all went together, and what was needed for a 3rd party to build and test new versions. It was also his thought that he might be able to work on the bugs himself. This didn't turn out to be so, however, and now 9 months have passed without any action on the bug fixing. Obviously it was imperative that I return to Germany to finally get some action taken (and I was unable to do so until last week). At this point the understanding is that Holger will start working on getting a system together that 3rd parties can use to fix bugs and build a new OS for testing. I do not know how long this will take, but at least I have the agreement that he will start on the essentials this week.

I have some communication with Arun about things, and need to check with Hermann to see how he is getting on with the Solaris we sent him.
Either of these fellows won't be able to start until after the New Year, and it could be several months before we have a complete system that allows for debugging and so on. I will certainly post here again when I know more.

Best Wishes to all for the Holidays!

John B.
christeck

Post by christeck »

Thanks for leaking the information, John. It's much appreciated.

BTW: December is not the best time of the year to visit germany, at least concerning the weather conditions :) .

ce
Neil

Post by Neil »

I would like to add my thanks for the info, and take the opportunity to let you know that we all appreciate your efforts in this point to realise all the amazing potential of the hardware.
Some things are worth waiting for!
Happy Christmas John & a successful, healthy New Year!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

ostrovitch wrote:For me, what I would like to be resolved it's the problem of the hold pedal which produces lags. It really has a direct impact on the music.
Folks,

I’ve just sent ‘ostrovich’ and one other a new beta OS that at least for me fixes the problem, though I’m using a foot switch with a negative polarity. Hopefully we do have a solution for this issue now!

john b.

p.s. there is also one of the MIDI ‘feedback loop’ problems fixed, in where Program Selects were being sent whenever they were received, which caused problems when the Solaris is connected to a DAW.
Patate le mgae

Post by Patate le mgae »

Nice to see that something is happening....
For me the annoying bug is the impossibility to sync solaris with my daw or my tempest.
Can we hope some evolution here?
wouter

Post by wouter »

A new beta OS, that's good news :)
M-Prod

Post by M-Prod »

Great news! I would like to try the beta, is that possible?
Weston Underwood

Post by Weston Underwood »

Thanks John

I hope that the midi buffer situation is fixed (maybe a midi loop issue I suppose) where the big S misses note ons/offs making running from my daw/Cirklon impossible.

Thank God I didn't weaken and sell it.

Keeping the faith here!

Mike

PS also happy to test out as beta from the midi point of view.
inaheartbeat

Post by inaheartbeat »

John I would be thrilled to test a beta version of the OS with some bug fixes. I can put it through any midi paces you want with my Cirklon and/or DAW. Glad to see some progress is being made and am looking forward to some new OS releases.