New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: New version of the OS ? Soon or not ?

Post by John Bowen »

synthwalker wrote:Hello, any update before end of 2016 ?
I am waiting, as you are....please send encouraging, supportive messages to ‘nvining' here in the Forum.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

I imagine that update an OS as the one of the Solaris is a so so big and touchy work. So Nvining, I wish you a very good courage ! Please stay zen and relax. Take your time, maybe everyone is impatient but I think the more important is to take some pleasure in this work :)
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

All the best to nvining !
We love you nvining !!
God bless nvining !!!
Long life to nvining !!!! ;-)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Yes we're all rooting for you Sir!

Getting excited....
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I was thinking rather to use his Private Message link:
ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=910
discocubist

Post by discocubist »

Plus one! I would also feel comfortable with contributing (a kind of subscription model seems to be popular for software currently) for regular updates, if this helped to formalise things. I would hate to think of development slowing and am happy to continue to contribute beyond actually buying the hardware, to ensure this kind of boutique product can stay alive and we can continue to benefit form this amazing platform...

The question is how many of us would be comfortable and to what degree would that cover the costs required to formalise that kind of resource...
pinmusica

Post by pinmusica »

I'm not that keen on paying for updates, at least until some bugs are polished away (I think until then we all deserve; just my opinion).

Beyond that, I guess I would pay for an update that adds an FM (Yamaha Phase modulation) oscillator with 4 or 3 ops feedback and simple AR Envelopes within (bearing in mind, it seems to be not posible to implement between the existing oscillators, because of technical structure of its programming design or something else; not sure, though), or improves its Linear FM behaviour, as the user cLoudForest pointed out:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16350&p=21462&hili ... +fm#p21462

(Besides all that, I really think Solaris is the best Poly synthesizer so far of all time; at least for me // just longging for that FM bit I love on my most loved synthesizer....)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

pinmusica wrote:I'm not that keen on paying for updates, at least until some bugs are polished away (I think until then we all deserve; just my opinion).

Beyond that, I guess I would pay for an update that adds an FM (Yamaha Phase modulation) oscillator with 4 or 3 ops feedback and simple AR Envelopes within (bearing in mind, it seems to be not posible to implement between the existing oscillators, because of technical structure of its programming design or something else; not sure, though), or improves its Linear FM behaviour, as the user cLoudForest pointed out:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16350&p=21462&hili ... +fm#p21462

(Besides all that, I really think Solaris is the best Poly synthesizer so far of all time; at least for me // just longging for that FM bit I love on my most loved synthesizer....)
The next thing on my list back when we first released the Solaris was an Osc Type for the Yamaha FM (phase mod as you point out). The decision to delay it was because things had reached a point where we needed to go into production and start having a product to sell. Unfortunately, following the initial year or two after release to the market, the DSP engineer left to work in a more stable business for a medical instruments company (at the strong urging of his wife and wife’s family members). Since then, I've not had a reliable DSP designer who could code this additional module. HOWEVER...at the most recent NAMM show, I did make contact with a very likely candidate, so I hope we can get it done by the end of the year!
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I would also like to announce that I have a new person who has offered to work on the bug list code fixes. Jim Hewes (online as 'minorguy') has been a Solaris owner since 2015, and has been active in developing his own editor to view the various modulation routings and so on with his Solarium software ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16379 ) as well as some earlier work on an unfinished Arpeggiator Editor I got from Germany (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16420).

We are moving very quickly to get Jim set up with all the development tools needed to produce a new OS, and I’m very excited to have him involved. Thanks so much, Jim!
amongstmyselves

Post by amongstmyselves »

That's great news !
NoahK

Post by NoahK »

John Bowen wrote:I would also like to announce that I have a new person who has offered to work on the bug list code fixes. Jim Hewes (online as 'minorguy') has been a Solaris owner since 2015, and has been active in developing his own editor to view the various modulation routings and so on with his Solarium software ( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16379 ) as well as some earlier work on an unfinished Arpeggiator Editor I got from Germany (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16420).

We are moving very quickly to get Jim set up with all the development tools needed to produce a new OS, and I’m very excited to have him involved. Thanks so much, Jim!

Fantastic news!!! This is very exciting!
M-Prod

Post by M-Prod »

That's great! Does that also mean a bugfix soon? It's amazing to have a fm module by the end of 2017, but I was kind of expecting a bug fix update last year-ish, since we were talking "weeks" in back in September.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

M-Prod,

Please list your 3 most important bug fixes needed. (everyone else as well, if you like....)

Thanks,
John B.
chapolin

Post by chapolin »

Hello,

For me the most important is the problem of the sustain.
Second, the problem with samples.

Thanks.
M-Prod

Post by M-Prod »

I would suggest not to generate these priorities Ad hoc. I guess you know your users and the bug list pretty good and trust you to make that list based on both user demands and effort based on technological perspective. I would be glad to mention my top 3 and 10 other users might do the same but that would only represent the opinions of that vocal minority.
In short: I trust you to prioritize the bug fixes