Internal power supply retrofit

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

serena-5

Internal power supply retrofit

Post by serena-5 »

Hello John....
Some time ago, it was mentioned (on the forum) that you were considering an internal power supply in the future for the Solaris, and that a retrofit for already purchased Solari (pl ??). Have there been any updates towards this end ??
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Internal power supply retrofit

Post by John Bowen »

No, nothing yet.
It's more about the legal 'red tape' for us to provide it from the factory. If users want to put it inside themselves, this is not a problem, so I just have to find the best way to do this. I know that my old Prophets were retrofitted with IEC3 connectors (where they had attached power cables), so the process to punch a hole and put in a different plug isn't that difficult.
https://www.google.com/search?q=IEC3+po ... 00&bih=826
serena-5

Post by serena-5 »

Is there a power supply available that could be purchased by we users (and installed by a professional) that you know of that would work for the Solaris ? Also, some time ago you were going to look into some type of DSP (delay, reverb) that could possibly be implimented into some of the unused hardware of the instrument…any developments yet ??
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

You could install your current power supply inside with some kind of bracket, and just expose the plug by having a larger hole punched in the rear (in place of the current plug location). There are several commercial synths on the market that have these 'power supply bricks' just mounted inside in this way.

As for an official retrofit - we will be moving to this in the future, which means there will be at some point a new bottom panel and supply that you could upgrade, but for now, we don't have this. I'm planning to have this in time for the September production run.

RE: new DSP effects - no, nothing has been done yet.
koenig

Post by koenig »

John Bowen wrote:There are several commercial synths on the market that have these 'power supply bricks' just mounted inside in this way.
Many years ago, when I opened my Korg M3 to make some modifications, I was very surprised to find a regular brick inside the case - I had never even heard of the practise before but I can see that it probably makes sense from an electrical (and certifications) perspective. I guess CE marking would enter this domain.

Pity about the September date as I expect my Solaris to arrive this summer. Oh, well; what is another wall wart amongst all the others... :)
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Actually now this won't be done for the September production run either.
Probably not until 2015 production units.
koenig

Post by koenig »

John Bowen wrote:Actually now this won't be done for the September production run either.
Probably not until 2015 production units.
Good news! :D
There is absolutely nothing like a little Schadenfreude to brighten up an otherwise rather bland morning... :lol: