Lag/latency Performance Knobs

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

M-Prod

Lag/latency Performance Knobs

Post by M-Prod »

Hi There,

i noticed a major lag/latency/stepping when using the performance knobs.

to reproduce:

assign a performance knob to cutoff
use performance knobs for fast cutoff sweeps

I get major stepping and lag when doing so.

By the way, sweeping the cutoff knob in the filter is the same, but the effect is way less and the sweep speed at wich it starts is higher. Shouldnt it be smooth troughout? The only way to get smooth filter sweeps is to assign it to the xy joystick or mod wheel.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: Lag/latency Performance Knobs

Post by John Bowen »

Do you have a MIDI loop situation?
wouter

Post by wouter »

Same here, if I recall correctly I was using the Solaris stand-alone (no MIDI loop).
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, I will check again in the morning....
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

OK, after investigating...a couple of points:

The acceleration of the knobs is set in relation to the range of the parameter, and what I thought would be wanted. For the filter cutoff, you have 0-126 semitones, or almost 11 octaves, to sweep, so we set this to get through the values within 2 turns. Usually because you want to quickly set the cutoff to a general range. Therefore, the default is to move quickly through 5 octaves in one turn. The LFO Rate, on the other hand, is usually something that you are fine-tuning in the lower end, so even though the Rate can go to 500 Hz, you will find that normal functioning of the Rate knob gives you adjustments in 1/100th Hz increments. The function of the Shift knob (hold and adjust value) adjusts this behavior to the reverse - cutoff values move by 1/10th of an octave, while the LFO Rate moves by ones.

In the case of the cutoff, you do hear some steps, as it goes through the range in larger 'chunks' in normal operation. If you use the Shift button, you do hear the smoother transition.

When you use the Performance Knob function, these act as a +/- 100% of the programmed value, but are acting with the same setting as the normal parameter acceleration. For now, there's no way to assign the shifted acceleration value to the Performance knob. A good point, and this needs to change.

Also, I don't recall now why the smoothing on the wide range acceleration couldn't be better, but I agree it's certainly something that we should change if possible.

As for lag, I did not notice any lag when using a Performance knob attached to the filter cutoff. Perhaps you can send me a Preset showing it?

Thanks for your input - I will add to the OS work list.

john b.
M-Prod

Re: Lag/latency Performance Knobs / Smooth filter sweeps

Post by M-Prod »

Hi John,

thanks for checking. I also confirm that i tested this standalone. I would love to be able to do smooth filter sweeps with a knob and not be forced to use the controllers (xy, mod, rib). As expected when using shift there is no stepping but this is not suitable for sweeps (something like 13 rotations).
The lag is with all presets and is best noticable when doing fast big sweeps with the performance knobs. Next to the stepping you will notice the sound lags behind. Ecpecially compared with eg the mod wheel wich is super immediate. The controllers show that smooth fast sweeps are definitely possible. EDIT: even the mod wheel shows stepping of very fast sweeps now and then.

thanks