RGB Backlit for modulation / pitch wheels

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

k-Tracker

RGB Backlit for modulation / pitch wheels

Post by k-Tracker »

Hi All,
I finished another project. This time I installed my own backlit for both wheels. My Solaris came with acrylic wheels (thank you John), but I decided not to order backlit for that and make something special by myself later.
Good news, all the tooling is already there, - there are 5mm holes for LEDs in correct positions already. Standard RGB LEDs fit ideally.
Have a look on the video, that's what I have implemented:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_BPoQS-IKI

Current features are:
1. both wheels' positions can be scanned.
2. based on that information modulation wheel changes the color in the range from blue to red depending on the position.
3. pitch wheel now is static blue.
4. circuit recognize incoming MIDI clock (on hw midi port only)
5. based on that information mod wheel synced to 1/4, pitch wheel to bars.
DSC07234.JPG
DSC07235.JPG
Andrei Kudryavtsev,
http://www.deftaudio.ru
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: RGB Backlit for modulation / pitch wheels

Post by John Bowen »

Andrew, that is VERY nice! Fun to have the tempo blinking - great idea! Will you sell a kit?
John b.
koenig

Post by koenig »

k-Tracker wrote:Hi All,
Current features are:
1. both wheels' positions can be scanned.
2. based on that information modulation wheel changes the color in the range from blue to red depending on the position.
3. pitch wheel now is static blue.
4. circuit recognize incoming MIDI clock (on hw midi port only)
5. based on that information mod wheel synced to 1/4, pitch wheel to bars.
Very cool!
k-Tracker

Post by k-Tracker »

John, I thought about that but that was not the idea why I started the project :) I decided to make something good for myself first to adopt the idea.
Tempo blinking is done by dedicated micro controller which I have developed over 8 years ago to sync any gear (roland, korg, moog - no matter) with midi clock. it's flexible in options from two bars ticks to 48ppqn, but I have configured it for bar + quarters. The only change I increased pulse length. Obviously I had to solder to one point on the main board (right after midi input opto ic) to connect to MIDI. it doesn't have much soldering space. At least 1mm solder iron and zoom lens are required. I do understand you may be concerned about that. Even it's only one wire, this have to be done very accurately. That's the whole reason why it syncs to external clock only and takes only HW MIDI port.

Color changes are driven by separate controller over the PWM. it's single chip solution + durlington pair to drive hi-power LEDs. it needs to be connected to the central pin of both wheels to enable position scanning. I connected it to modwheel only and works well. But for pitch band it's a bit tricky, I have noticed side effect of Solaris scanning for this wheel. Of course, I have isolated my circuit from on the Solaris circuit (simply by diode :) ) but this works in one way - I'm protecting Solaris, but not my circuit from it. That could be easily solved by another diode in between potentiometer and Solaris circuit, but I wanted to make minimal changes to existing schematics. will do that some day later.

In total for this feature set I came with 5 connection wires ( +12V, ground, pitch, modwheel, midi).

Thinking about the kit - what features you're interested in? Do you need color change? Tempo Sync? or have other idea to implement?

So, now it looks ugly inside since was designed on prototype board. But there is good place for it under the wheels. So, once design will be completed, I'll make the PCB.
DSC07207.JPG
Andrei Kudryavtsev,
http://www.deftaudio.ru
jaykeel

Post by jaykeel »

You are one smart and talented individual! I didn't understand a word of it :) lol
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Yes, I realized you must be tapping the MIDI input jack, since there's no other signal possible to get for processing. It's not an easy mod, then.
Perhaps we can figure out something that I can offer directly as an option...

I think the tempo flashing may be more fun than the color changing, but I'm sure both are attractive to users.

john b.
koenig

Post by koenig »

John Bowen wrote: I think the tempo flashing may be more fun than the color changing, but I'm sure both are attractive to users.
The colour changing would actually be rather useful. I had an incident at a gig where I had accidentally moved the mod wheel of my Blofeld while sound checking. That changed the behaviour of the patch and the filter setting that I expected when I hit the keys (an arpeggio that was to drive the next stage of the song) was not there... :(

So, a quick visual feedback other than a notch would definitely be a good thing in any instrument - I like the idea! Not only does it work in the dark but it also adds to the bling. :D