The volume control sends MIDI

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

koenig

The volume control sends MIDI

Post by koenig »

It seems as if the volume control sends MIDI. This is a bit of a bother for me, since I plan to use the Solaris as a MIDI controller as well and one way to handle such a setup is to be able to turn the volume knob manually, thus phasing out the Solaris in favour for the MIDI synth.

Now, I tried this and the problem was that I could turn the volume knob on the Origin to make that sound enter the picture but when I tried to do the opposite on the Solaris the result was that both synths were turned down, volume wise.

Is there a way to change this behaviour?

K
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: The volume control sends MIDI

Post by John Bowen »

Did you try turning off MIDI Volume on the MIDI page? (SYSTEM/MIDI)
koenig

Post by koenig »

John Bowen wrote:Did you try turning off MIDI Volume on the MIDI page? (SYSTEM/MIDI)
I have experimented with this and am rather confused. Today I played for a while and everything worked - I could turn either volume knob and there was no interference. I then tried to set the MIDI volume to ON but nothing happened.

Later this evening I switched on the Solaris and the problem returned. I went to the MIDI settings page but the volume was OFF. I changed it to ON and then back to off but to no avail. Frustrating to have a behaviour that I cannot understand, nor recreate.

I will keep on fiddling
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Do you have the Origin or any other device that could be sending MIDI Volume commands plugged in to the MIDI In of the Solaris?
koenig

Post by koenig »

The Origin is the only thing plugged in, which is done via proper MIDI. I have not noticed (I tried this) that turning the volume knob on the Origin has any effect on the Solaris.