New Arpeggiator Editor released

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

New Arpeggiator Editor released

Post by John Bowen »

I’d like to announce an editor that will allow users to create their own factory arpeggiator patterns!
While this editor was started back several years ago, it was never in a fully working state until one of our Solaris owners stepped up and offered to do some coding work on it. Many thanks go to Jim Hewes for his great communication and quickness with this project.

Currently the Editor is only for Windows users, but I have Bernard Wong (online as Subliminal Effect) looking to make a version for Mac OS as well.

If you look at the discussion posted already regarding arpeggiator patterns, you will learn about the details of arpeggiator patterns, but I will repeat some of the basic details here:

1) Up until now, there has been no way to edit or create arpeggiator patterns. The few that have been shipped in the Factory folder were more test files.
2) The Editor allows users to alter parameters which are not available from the front panel. These are Gate On/Off, Gate Length, and Step Velocity. Pattern Length is also included in the pattern file.
3) All other parameters that you can see in the Arp pages are only stored in the Preset. Therefore, the Editor only provides a way to create your own customer patterns of the 4 listed parameters in (2)

In addition to the ability to edit the parameters listed, the Editor provides 3 buttons that address communication between the Editor and the Solaris:

1) Sync (toggle) - when this is enabled, changes in either the Solaris display or the Editor will immediately be updated in both.
2) Send (momentary) - Sends the current pattern from the Editor to the Solaris
3) Recv (momentary) - fetches the current pattern from the Solaris

In the Editor, you will find a button at the bottom of each step to turn that step on or off. Above that is a vertical slider controlling the velocity of the step. Below the Gate button is a horizontal slider setting the gate length (values are 0.1 - 4.0). These, plus the Pattern Length, are the only parameters stored in a pattern file. All other parameters that you can change need to be saved in the Preset, once you are done.

Please let me know if you have any problems with the Arp Editor, and I’m looking forward to hopefully having users submit some fun and interesting patterns!

Cheers,
John Bowen
Attachments
ArpEditor.exe.zip
(893.29 KiB) Downloaded 395 times
wouter

Re: New Arpeggiator Editor released

Post by wouter »

jgale

Post by jgale »

Very nice. Quick and easy way to create some cool Arpeggios. Thank You! :D
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Please note - you must have Velocity programmed on (I recommend full value of 127) to the Envelope you want (typically EG 6) for the step velocity in the arpeggiation to be heard. The Velocity control for each envelope is the first knob position on the second page of the Mod screens for each one.
jgale

Post by jgale »

So... I've created an arp where VEL is modifying Filter Cutoff, VCA Volume, WT Shape, Mixer Volume between OSC1 and 2, and VCA panning... Very hypnotic.

Every time I play my Solaris, I just smile...
Analog 80

Post by Analog 80 »

Great ! Very useful ! Thanks
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

I had a request to add a way to reset/initialize the various parameters. Jim responded quickly with a new update! (Thanks again to Jim!!)

You can select Reset from the Settings menu or press CTRL-R. There are reset options there which are remembered in the config file. Also, you can now double-click on sliders to reset them to their default value.

(This file has also been uploaded to the first post above, so you don’t need to download both.)

Cheers,
John B.
Attachments
ArpEditor.exe.zip
(893.29 KiB) Downloaded 369 times