would you be interested in SOLARIS editor ?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

gundorf

would you be interested in SOLARIS editor ?

Post by gundorf »

Hi all !
a little question here..
I was thinking about making an editor for solaris !
I was wondering if some of you would have need to have such software.. with kind of extras...
koenig

Re: would you be interested in SOLARIS editor ?

Post by koenig »

I have thought about the same thing so, yes, I am definitely interested. :D
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

I’m not sure if you came across this thread but I brought up the same thing a while back. I took it to be a rather lukewarm response overall. But I’m still working on that editor. I think there are, at least, ways that software could complement the Solaris UI rather than replace it.

However, the Solaris needs a bit more work on the NRPN/SysEx implementation in order for external software to function well enough. For example, there are parameters that have a greater range than even NRPN can handle, like time values (0.1 ms steps over 20 seconds) and frequency values. Button presses and the data wheel don’t transmit NRPN, etc. I’m sure Holger is aware of this stuff and I’m hopeful for updates. I’m just saying…before you invest a lot of time.
Solaris #249
gundorf

Post by gundorf »

Thanks for your reply minorguy ! I didn't know about this point...
I will checked what is fully doable and what is not...
I would like to implant a randomizer- It may be cool even if not all parameters can be handled correctly...
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

I would be very interested in an Editor - would it be a VST editor?
koenig

Post by koenig »

An editor would be nice but I have, in all honesty, little need for an editor that is connected to the Solaris. What I had envisioned (and what would fit my bill nicely) was something to tweak the preset files on the CF card.

Really, what would suffice for me would be a way to visualise a patch, nothing else. I mean, there are 1200+ parameters and trying to grok a patch from the (admittedly plethora of) screens is a bit of a pain.

So, if one were to aim for a patch file editor, step one would be a visualiser and step two a tweaker. That would at least make me very happy.
qtuner

Post by qtuner »

Rather than code an editor from scratch, i think it would be a good idea to create an editor with CTRL, an open source program that has a stand alone and vst plug in version. I think there will be a lot of midi cc and sysex bugs that would be better prototyped on this system.

http://ctrlr.org/
jgale

Post by jgale »

qtuner wrote:Rather than code an editor from scratch, i think it would be a good idea to create an editor with CTRL, an open source program that has a stand alone and vst plug in version. I think there will be a lot of midi cc and sysex bugs that would be better prototyped on this system.

http://ctrlr.org/
+1 - I was looking at CTRL solution and thought that it would be a great way to create an editor for the Solaris.

For programing I really like the Solaris front panel - so much better than tweaking a VST with a mouse. However, a well written VST editor would make the Solaris so much more integrated with a DAW - i.e. you could load and save Solaris patches inside of your DAW, slight tweaks to a sound would be saved along with your song, automation tweaks could potentially be easier with an editor, etc.

To accomplish all of these functions, the Solaris would require a few updates to the NRPN system - i.e. all of buttons would need to transmit NRPNs, the Solaris would need to respond to NRPN messages requesting current patch, knob settings, bulk data dumps, etc.

John
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Exactly, and I have communicated this to Holger.
reno

Post by reno »

Another +1 for Ctrlr, because it's easier not to reinvent the wheel, but above all because it's Mac / Windows / Linux !
Toby Emerson

Post by Toby Emerson »

I tried out CTRLR but I couldn't get it to work - is this due to the updates needed to send NRPNS, or do I need to just spend some more time with it?
jgale

Post by jgale »

Toby Emerson wrote:I tried out CTRLR but I couldn't get it to work - is this due to the updates needed to send NRPNS, or do I need to just spend some more time with it?
Toby - I was able to get CTRLR to work as a prototype testing out a few knobs.

One issue that you may be hitting is that the Solaris uses a running status of NRPN messages - meaning the knob number is only sent out once until you touch another knob. It remembers the last knob that you touched. When I was testing, I kept switching knobs to confirm that it worked. You need to do this when you start CTRLR because it is looking for the NRPN knob number for it to recognize which controller you are automating.

The fix for this would be to be to write a LUA script in CTRLR to handle this or ask John to tweak the Solaris to send the knob number with each message.

John
amongstmyselves

Post by amongstmyselves »

Personally I would find a patch display program that shows the wiring of the modulators etc more useful than an editor.
qtuner

Post by qtuner »

amongstmyselves wrote:Personally I would find a patch display program that shows the wiring of the modulators etc more useful than an editor.
I'm putting the finishing touches on a program to rename presets and move them within a bank.
scope4live

Post by scope4live »

Awesome.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole