control change

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

flybyno

control change

Post by flybyno »

Hello :)
I use the Solaris as a master keyboard.
I need CC11 to control a vst instrument. Can i assign a button on the Solaris for this purpose ?
Cannot find it in the manual :/

Thanks
Arnaud
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: control change

Post by John Bowen »

Hmmm, this is the controller for Expression. I'm not sure if, when using an Expression pedal with the Solaris, it sends out the same info - will have to check.

However, to answer your question - no, right now there’s no way to customize a button with this value. Assigning numbers in the page 2 MIDI section is just for receiving controller data. I wonder if there’s a way we can modify the code so that one of the Performance knobs could be assigned to any CC? I will discuss with Jim.
synthwalker

Post by synthwalker »

Maybe we could think about a special Midi mode Preset in which Solaris only transmits Midi notes, program changes and CC, each knob assignable to a CC number displayed in the screens (CC number and value), with arrow buttons alternating betwen 4 sets of values...
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

John Bowen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:52 am Hmmm, this is the controller for Expression. I'm not sure if, when using an Expression pedal with the Solaris, it sends out the same info - will have to check.
What Solaris calls the expression pedal actually sends out CC4 which is Foot Controller.
synthwalker wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:40 pm Maybe we could think about a special Midi mode Preset in which Solaris only transmits Midi notes, program changes and CC, each knob assignable to a CC number displayed in the screens (CC number and value), with arrow buttons alternating betwen 4 sets of values...
Yes, I had thought along similar lines. (thinking big!) You have all those knobs and displays, why not use them. But it would actually take some time to implement that.
Solaris #249
jgale

Post by jgale »

I wonder if there’s a way we can modify the code so that one of the Performance knobs could be assigned to any CC? I will discuss with Jim.
+1 for this. I would like the Performance knobs to be able to transmit / receive a CC.

Also would like to see (probably more difficult) the performance knobs as a modulation source / or this may be achievable by allowing the user to assign a CC to each Performance knob and using CC1 - CC5 as the modulation input.

John
minorguy

Post by minorguy »

There are a couple of issues with using the performance knobs for this purpose. A performance knob and a CC controller are two different things. They are different functions and have different ranges for both the target and the value. A performance knob value has a range of -100% to +100% while a CC controller value has a range of 0 - 127. So it makes sense that there are really five more, separate knobs.
However you might want to mix performance knobs and CC controls on the same page so that you can use them both without having to switch pages. In that case, you would need a way to set up a knob---a slot on the page---to be either a performance knob or a CC controller. Then after that, a way to set what the target or CC number is. It gets a bit awkward. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you just have to think about the whole process of how you'd set it all up.
jgale wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:45 pm Also would like to see (probably more difficult) the performance knobs as a modulation source
How are they not already a modulation source? They're not in the modulation list but they modulate (i.e. change) parameters when you turn them. Although I think you may want to cover the whole value range in one turn.

Edit: On second thought, I guess they're not the same as a modulation source in that they have only one destination. So yeah...

Edit2: Then again, if you can spare it, you can run MaxVal into a Mixer input and then control the Mixer input level with a performance knob. Then use the mixer output as your modulation source with multiple destinations. Insert in a Lag processor if needed.
Solaris #249
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Maybe we could add some modification to the MIDI CC page. Right now this page assigns CC numbers to 5 ‘labels’ (as CC1-5) using the upper row of knobs, which are then routed as mod sources. What if these could also send out controller data for the assigned numbers, using the bottom row of knobs?
(This also would add a page 3 to the MIDI pages, since we have some new parameters added..)

Putting this requested function on the MIDI page isn’t as attractive as with a live Performance Knob idea, since you have to exit Preset mode to access the MIDI page, but it would be a lot easier to implement.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

flybyno wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:32 am Hello :)
I use the Solaris as a master keyboard.
I need CC11 to control a vst instrument. Can i assign a button on the Solaris for this purpose ?
Cannot find it in the manual :/
Another option would be to extend the list of values possible for the Assign1 and 2 buttons. It’s a bit much to add all MIDI CC numbers to the list - maybe just a few selected CC numbers would be OK?
flybyno

Post by flybyno »

Just several CCs would be fine. Most of VSTs allows to choose which are used.
Thanks !