Is it possible to create the same sounds as the Waldorf Microwave XT with solaris?

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

polybonk

Is it possible to create the same sounds as the Waldorf Microwave XT with solaris?

Post by polybonk » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Basically, the title covers it.

I have really fallen in love with the sound of the Waldorf Microwave XT.

So naturally before going out and getting one I wanted to check in here and see if this synth can be replicated and no doubt bested by Solaris?

I have never owned one and don't know but is there anything special about its architecture that Solaris does not have? I know we have the Waldorf PPG wavetables. But there is something about the constantly morphing and evolving sounds that I am hearing. What is it that makes the XT produce evolving/complex digital soundscapes?

Any opinions would be welcome?

Octupole

Re: Is it possible to create the same sounds as the Waldorf Microwave XT with solaris?

Post by Octupole » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 am

We had a similar question in this thread: https://forums.johnbowen.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16299, maybe that already helps.

The "constantly morphing and evolving sounds" you mention might be done using a modulation of the position in the wavetable. The Solaris wavetable oscillators offer this as modulation destination, so you can do this kind of modulations with any available source. The Solaris also has a complex multi stage envelope generator, similar to the one the MW has.