OLED text displays

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

OLED text displays

Post by John Bowen »

To those of you who have been asking about having OLED displays for your Solaris - there is a display that we could possibly make work in the Solaris. The parts cost from Mouser would be $750 (plus tax & shipping) for 5 of the displays. I’m not sure what other modifications or adapter we would need to make, but I would like to see how many owners would be willing to pay for OLED displays. My guess is there would be some costs in addition to the bare part - connector pins have to be soldered on, and we’d need to investigate if it would be an easy solution to adapt in software. We might also need to design an adapter card. Total cost would probably run $850-$900?

Anyway, if there are enough owners interested, I can see how many I could order, which could reduce the component part by a little ( 1 unit is $153, but buying 5 they are $149.63, etc. plus tax and shipping, of course!).

Let me know here - post below.

John B.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Re: OLED text displays

Post by John Bowen »

Also, just as a F.Y.I.

RE: OLED graphic display - I copied these from the gearslutz thread:

" IMO there are not many advantages to switch the LCDs to OLED displays. Maybe better contrast and viewing angles, but that is it. With OLED displays, you pay more and also get reduced lifetime for the display. I am surprised about the hype of moving to OLED displays, and various OLED replacement displays appearing for various old synths. There is nothing wrong with the LCD displays used in Solaris or other gear. If I was to start a company to build synthesizers or other gear, I would also use this type of LCD displays, definitely not OLEDs in a product that should have a long lifetime. LCDs are used in all studio gear, look gorgeous and very readable and affordable because they are widely used."

" I agree that there are not many advantages to switch to OLED, but I think the few ones are good.
Viewing angle and estetics means something and I would pay extra for it. But LCD's won't prevent me from buying Solaris.
What do you know about lifespan of OLED modules?"

" Part of my day job as a researcher is to study lifetime of OLED technologies with different stress methods. Based on some of my findings, I would not buy OLED products for my personal use. The quality of light or picture may be good, but lifetime not so. I consider synthesizers to be products that should keep working for 20 years or so."

" Thanks for this! Very good information.
I always thought OLED=better and more durable."

You can read the whole thing here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... laris+2017
david

Post by david »

John Bowen wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 pm To those of you who have been asking about having OLED displays for your Solaris - there is a display that we could possibly make work in the Solaris. The parts cost from Mouser would be $750 (plus tax & shipping) for 5 of the displays. I’m not sure what other modifications or adapter we would need to make, but I would like to see how many owners would be willing to pay for OLED displays. My guess is there would be some costs in addition to the bare part - connector pins have to be soldered on, and we’d need to investigate if it would be an easy solution to adapt in software. We might also need to design an adapter card. Total cost would probably run $850-$900?

Anyway, if there are enough owners interested, I can see how many I could order, which could reduce the component part by a little ( 1 unit is $153, but buying 5 they are $149.63, etc. plus tax and shipping, of course!).

Let me know here - post below.

John B.
Would it be user installed or we would have to send the synth to you? Either way I would do it!
david

Post by david »

You should post this in the Facebook group so those that don’t visit the forum can see it.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

david wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:56 am You should post this in the Facebook group so those that don’t visit the forum can see it.
I’ve posted this now in the Solaris FB Group.
nts

Post by nts »

Would be very interested, esp. if I could get blue on white, or vice versa; and if the job could be done in the field and reversible to the original displays. I'd then simply keep the originals in-case the new OLEDs started to fail.

Its a gorgeous synth, but these displays would add a nice touch to an already elegant and stunning design.

I recently replaced an old original "el-backlit" LED screen in a Korg Wavestation AD with a new full-OLED panel, and the difference is quite stunning and very attractive.

I'm in!
normanion

Post by normanion »

For me, in my setup, viewing angle is very important so I'm in.
reno

Post by reno »

I would be in although this sounds very expensive - a significant chunk of the original price of the synth.
OLED is still relatively new - maybe give it another year or two and these parts could drop to half the current price as production ramps up ?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

So, an update - one owner has replaced all 5 text displays with an OLED display that costs about $20-30 each - so much cheaper than what I had first found! He says the only issue is that the display is not as “thick”, so there is some space between it and the plexiglas covers we use (which are normally held in place up against the front of the LCD display). His solution was to prop up the plexiglas on either side with some tape, but a different solution would be to engineer a bezel or frame that would surround the display’s edge and fill in the gap.

I don’t know if that’s any big deal to manufacture, but if we do get enough interest, I can pursue it.

These displays are replaceable in the field by anyone who wants to get their screwdriver going and open up the unit. One other thing - these displays come without any connecting pins (as do our current ones), and so pins have to be soldered in first. I can ask Ralf (our current assembler) what he would charge to solder x number of displays, once I get a reasonable count as to how many owners would want to buy these OLED displays.

The only color choice for these OLEDs seems to be white text on black, so they do make quite a contrast to the center graphics display (which is not easily replaced, and there’s no OLED that size available). You can view his white Solaris with the 5 OLED displays on this Facebook post: https://www.facebook.com/andrei.kudryav ... 8718938153

As I comment there, I’d like to see these on a black top panel - I think it would be less jarring to the eye.

Anyway - if this is definitely something you want, let me know here, and I will put something together.

Cheers,
John B.

p.s. the display costs should be around $150 plus shipping from China. Then there would be Ralf’s labor charges, if he needs to do the connectors. I have no idea what making the bezel would cost, but perhaps there is someone here who can do the job?
nts

Post by nts »

I think it looks gorgeous - but I'd also want to do the centre display as well, before I commit. If you manage to source a large centre screen, I'd be in instantly for this look.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Unfortunately, there’s nothing at the moment that can change the larger graphics display to match both the color and the connectivity method.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

Finally, we have a definite plan to offer OLED displays with new plexiglas coverings. The cost will be $250 per Solaris, which we are offering first to the current Round 7 pre-orders. If you are a current Solaris owner, but would like to have your 5 text displays replaced with the OLED displays, please note that I will have to figure out how to handle the servicing of replacement, since the Solaris has to be opened and the current plexiglas covers and displays removed and replaced with the new parts. Certainly it’s something that could be done by the user, but I would have to say it could affect the warranty. It’s not terribly difficult to do - just lots of screws to disassemble!

Anyway, if you are a current owner interested in replacing your 5 LCD text displays with OLEDs, and are willing to do the work yourself, you can send me an email at OLEDs@johnbowen.com.

And just a reminder - there is no way to replace the central LCD graphics display to match the look of the white-on-black OLED displays, so please know that there will not be any way to change how it looks.

-John B.
koenig

Post by koenig »

Is the $250 price-tag for the OLED displays you offer the current production round the same for retrofitting?
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

koenig wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:05 am Is the $250 price-tag for the OLED displays you offer the current production round the same for retrofitting?
Yes.
John Bowen
Site Admin

Post by John Bowen »

We’ve seen pictures of a white front panel Solaris with the OLED screens, but here is a photo showing them with the black front panel:
IMG_7051.jpg