User and Factory Patterns Explained

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

User and Factory Patterns Explained

Post by John Bowen »

Today I thought I’d explain a bit more detail about the patterns for both the arpeggiator and the step sequencer.

You will see that, in both sections, the pattern value starts with User, then goes 1 to 63. The User pattern is stored with each preset; the 1 through 63 patterns are stored on the CF card as separate objects in the Factory folder (under Arp or Seq sub-folders, accordingly). At the moment, there is no way to extract the sequencer User patterns from the Presets, but an editor for this is in the works. Likewise, there’s no current Editor for the Arp patterns, and this has been discussed at length as well (there is something at Sonic Core one of the engineers used to make the arp patterns that are on your CF card, but I could never get it to work for me). I hope there will also be an editor for these soon as well. (As an aside, the arpeggiator structure is based on the same type of pattern data used in the Virus TI arpeggiator, where there are 32 steps, each with velocity and gate length defined.)

So, here’s the deal with the patterns: you have the one pattern that is stored per preset, called User. This can be different for each preset, obviously (but in the case of the arpeggiator is currently the same, since there’s no way to edit it from the front panel). If, on the other hand, you select one of the numbered patterns, then the Preset, when selected, will look for the numbered pattern in one of the sub-folders, and reference (‘point’) to it.

What this really means is that the ‘Factory’ patterns (which on most other synths are unchangeable and fixed) are replaceable by you the user. This is a good and a bad thing - if a Preset designer was depending on a Factory pattern as a crucial part of the sound, then there is the chance it will not be there, if the user has decided to replace it. On the other hand, since all Factory patterns are replaceable by the user, you can basically define your own patterns, which you then can reference throughout your set of Presets without having to program them each time.

I hope this clarifies things a bit regarding the Patterns, and I understand that Editors for these are urgently needed - if there is anyone interested and capable of writing such an editor, I’d be happy to send you the data description of the Preset structure to do so....

Regards,
John B.
scope4live

Re: User and Factory Patterns Explained

Post by scope4live »

Let Us Pray.........
That would be such good news.
But so much about Solaris functions perfectly well, that is what I will concentrate on and anxiously await all updates and bells and whistles.
But when something sounds as good as this synth, it's hard not to create presets and just play for hours.
My headphones are on for so long and I cannot hear anything else, which is great as I am surrounded by cackling Hens.
Fortunately they have a decent salary, and leave on the weekends for retail therapy..............perfect.
Magnus C350 on a TV Dinner Tray Stand with 2 x PigNose Amps for stereo

https://soundcloud.com/jimmyvee/wormhole