Proper CF card structure

Moderator: Solaris Moderators

John Bowen
Site Admin

Proper CF card structure

Post by John Bowen »

A customer with a corrupted CF card emailed me, as he had purchased a new card and downloaded the files from the Data File section, but was still having problems. I asked him to send me a screen shot of the card, and it was immediately apparent what was wrong - all of the proper Solaris folders were one level ‘down’, because I had overlooked how I had packed the files - inside a folder called 'Archive’. You should not have this as the top folder on your CF card. It was my mistake, and so I thought I’d post my clarification here.

Except for the folder called ‘Older OS files’ and the .pdf files, here’s what you need at the top level of the card for the Solaris to work (this is a screen shot from my CF card):
Screen Shot 2011-12-19 at 9.04.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2011-12-19 at 9.04.23 AM.png (14.52 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
Here's how Solaris works: it looks specifically for the following folder names: Factory, OS, Presets, and Samples. Any other folder name is ignored. So, as you can see, I have a folder called Older OS files, as well as a couple of .pdf files on the card, which Solaris ignores. This way I can carry extra data, or backups of older files, without worrying about the operation.

But if you don't have those 4 folder names on the top level of the card, you will get erratic behavior, that sometimes may seem like Solaris is working - but it is not.

I hope this helps!

John B.